PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Install 11.10 as a Windows program

Harley36
October 29th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Is there any problem (security,etc) when installing 11.10 as a Windows program instead of in its own partition.

raja.genupula
October 29th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Is there any problem (security,etc) when installing 11.10 as a Windows program instead of in its own partition.

I always prefer installation of Ubuntu in its own partition.You not gonna face any type of security issues if you install it inside of windows but some performance issues gonna rise up sometimes. So its better to go with ubuntu in its own partition . But could you please tell me why you wanna install Ubuntu inside windows , is there any particular reason ?

Thanks,:D

Harley36
October 29th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the reply.
No great reason, it just seems easier to remove and do a fresh instal when a new distro comes out.
John

chicoharv
October 29th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I agree its easier and also to remove.

Paqman
October 29th, 2011, 07:13 PM

There are a couple of limitations:

You can't use hibernation
Any loss of power can severely corrupt the filesystem
The size of your Ubuntu system is limited by what you choose at install time (it can be changed later, but it's not straightforward)
You can't use RAID or disk encryption
You can't install behind a proxy

wildmanne39
October 29th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Hi, also if your widows crashes so does ubuntu whether from a virus or corruption of a partition, so it is best to have ubunbtu on its own partition or hard drive.

Wubi is only meant as a tool to try ubuntu out and not to use permanently.
Thank you