PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help! Installed compiz settings manager, now Unity is gone!

lbeidler
October 29th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Ubuntu 11.10 on an hp laptop
Everything was working GREAT until I installed Compiz settigns Manager.
Now Unity is gone! the launcher bar is gone, the bar on top of the screen is gone, everything. i tried typing 'unity" from a terminal, and it didn't start. I tried uninstalling the settings manager, that didn't work. Please help!
Thanks.

lbeidler
October 29th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Solved! I inadvertently turned off the unity plugin in the settings manager.

Nolt
October 31st, 2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks for explanation, I was wondering what happens. I installed compiz settings manager and only changed water windows effect and then Unity crashes. I had only one bar at the top. Alt+F2 doesnt worked only combination to log out alt+ctrl+del. When I ran in Ubuntu 2D mode all was OK.

I will check this. Thanks again.

Mark Phelps
October 31st, 2011, 03:32 PM
I've had the same problems. Evidently, all you have to do is install ccsm and OPEN it! You don't have to change any parms, just run the app, and UNITY is trashed.

Yet another FINE example of Canonical pushing some garbage out the door with, obviously, not enough testing.

The fix is to remove unity and compiz, reinstall compiz and unity, and NOT reinstall ccsm -- see link below:

http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/04/missing-top-and-side-panels-in-unity.html

JasonR
October 31st, 2011, 05:04 PM
I've had the same problems. Evidently, all you have to do is install ccsm and OPEN it! You don't have to change any parms, just run the app, and UNITY is trashed.

Yet another FINE example of Canonical pushing some garbage out the door with, obviously, not enough testing.

The fix is to remove unity and compiz, reinstall compiz and unity, and NOT reinstall ccsm -- see link below:

http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/04/missing-top-and-side-panels-in-unity.html

This happened to me. I did nothing but open ccsm and Unity 3d vanished. Apparently just opening the app is enough to uncheck the Unity plugin, which causes the problem. Now I'm back with 10.04.

Justinba1010
October 31st, 2011, 05:08 PM
CCSM works fine for me. I might already be in 2d mode :D.

roger_1960
October 31st, 2011, 06:46 PM
Hi

If you have a problem, try

CTR ALT T

and then

unity --reset

I installed and opened ccsm in Unity 3D with no problems at all. However, quite a few settings in ccsm are not compatible with the unity plugin.

Mark Phelps
November 1st, 2011, 03:23 PM
I tried unity --reset and it trashed the display majorly. Only fix was to do all the commands in the link I provided.