PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Any fans of Criminal minds? :P

Fjupt
October 29th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Heey there..

If there is any fans of Criminal minds out there, i'm sure you know what i'm talking about.

I want to get or build a system like Penelope Garcias.

any ideas if there's a system like that out there or if i need to build it my self?
- If, in fact, i need to build it myself... what program would i build it in?
I'm into programming so it's not like i want a program that can make it all for me, but i'm just not certain if you actually just start programming in notepad or how it works with Linux? :)

any help, is good help.

Thanks!
Regards

Fjupt

Gentoo64
October 29th, 2011, 03:23 PM
There are different languages.. basically you do use notepad/gedit/vim whatever to write it in.
I would start with basics before trying to do a whole system :)

I don't watch that, or know what it's about. But you can customize your system how you want without having to program (if it's just the layout you want) there are lots of desktop environments etc

Fjupt
October 30th, 2011, 02:09 AM
But you can customize your system how you want without having to program (if it's just the layout you want) there are lots of desktop environments etc

Well i do like the programming part, so... :P
But Sure... i should start out slow.
Does the language count as the same as in windows?
Like c++ and such?

oldtimer7777
October 30th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Well i do like the programming part, so... :P
But Sure... i should start out slow.
Does the language count as the same as in windows?
Like c++ and such?

I've never watched the show, but from looking at the pics of her sitting behind that desk, it appears she is running something with Hardy Heron wallpaper. Or maybe 9.10 Ubuntu..

If you want something like that I suggest Ubuntu 10.10:

https://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-10-10-aka-maverick-meerkat/

And then go through that step by step to have almost the same kind of desktop environment.. Just change the wallpaper back to Hardy Heron graphics.

overdrank
October 30th, 2011, 01:03 PM
If I remember correctly in a episode that she built her own OS. :)

Fjupt
October 30th, 2011, 04:50 PM
If I remember correctly in a episode that she built her own OS. :)
Correct. :P

She built it all herself. :P

And i think it's cool and i like the way it's just functionally so... :)

Fjupt
October 30th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I've never watched the show, but from looking at the pics of her sitting behind that desk, it appears she is running something with Hardy Heron wallpaper. Or maybe 9.10 Ubuntu..

If you want something like that I suggest Ubuntu 10.10:

https://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-10-10-aka-maverick-meerkat/

And then go through that step by step to have almost the same kind of desktop environment.. Just change the wallpaper back to Hardy Heron graphics.

So what you want me to do it to downgrade my Ubuntu and try to make it work with 10.10?

Mark Phelps
October 31st, 2011, 03:48 PM
I want to get or build a system like Penelope Garcias.

This is HOLLYWOOD, not the real world! While there may be some actual screen activity going on, in nearly EVERY case, what you see on screen is the result of (1) some script running in the background that is populating the screen with the stuff the script called for, or (2) a blank screen that is filled in later during Post Production.

How do I know this? Simple, I have a close relative that works full-time in the Post Production industry, and his company spends their time doing just the kind of "simulations" that you see on Criminal Minds and other shows.

One of the best examples of such work was the movie Avatar. The screens were all blank -- and all were filled in using special effects during Post Prod.

Fjupt
October 31st, 2011, 06:57 PM
This is HOLLYWOOD, not the real world! While there may be some actual screen activity going on, in nearly EVERY case, what you see on screen is the result of (1) some script running in the background that is populating the screen with the stuff the script called for, or (2) a blank screen that is filled in later during Post Production.

How do I know this? Simple, I have a close relative that works full-time in the Post Production industry, and his company spends their time doing just the kind of "simulations" that you see on Criminal Minds and other shows.

One of the best examples of such work was the movie Avatar. The screens were all blank -- and all were filled in using special effects during Post Prod.

I do know that.. :P
I'm not totally lost here...

But the way it works...
I have my own understanding of "her" OS and i want to build something out of that understanding.. :P

I could give a detailed example of what i mean, but for now i would just like to know something about what languages to use to program something like this. :)

regards

Fjupt

Fjupt
November 1st, 2011, 06:53 PM
Basicly what i'm searching for is a way to go all in Terminal. To have a Terminal based OS...

Like: Desk top, none... Only terminal. type like "run firefox" and then up pops a window with firefox...

I want to be able to run it all from terminal, the entire thing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Regards

Fjupt

Mark Phelps
November 1st, 2011, 06:59 PM
Try installing a Server edition. They're intended to be run without a desktop.

marin123
November 1st, 2011, 07:10 PM
Basicly what i'm searching for is a way to go all in Terminal. To have a Terminal based OS...

Like: Desk top, none... Only terminal. type like "run firefox" and then up pops a window with firefox...

I want to be able to run it all from terminal, the entire thing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Regards

Fjupt

Sorry, but I think you will never get what you are looking for. You have something in your mind that might not be able to accomplish without great knowlegde of linux and DE's.
In order to run Firefox you have to have desktop environment. You could try ArchBang Linux, it has latest kernel and software with Openbox as DE, and that's minimal DE with Conky for displaying current activity, and to me very similar to Penelope's computer.

BTW I am a fan of the show :) but I don't like Penelope scenes anymore, I mean, come on: "Penelope, can you find all men born in 1957 in New York". -"Yes sir."
-"Now filter out everyone that have had a dog." -"You have 1276 results."
-"Has anyone from that list ever published a paper in the school's newspapers?"

What kind of database is that?

Fjupt
November 3rd, 2011, 11:13 AM
Sorry, but I think you will never get what you are looking for. You have something in your mind that might not be able to accomplish without great knowlegde of linux and DE's.
In order to run Firefox you have to have desktop environment. You could try ArchBang Linux, it has latest kernel and software with Openbox as DE, and that's minimal DE with Conky for displaying current activity, and to me very similar to Penelope's computer.

BTW I am a fan of the show :) but I don't like Penelope scenes anymore, I mean, come on: "Penelope, can you find all men born in 1957 in New York". -"Yes sir."
-"Now filter out everyone that have had a dog." -"You have 1276 results."
-"Has anyone from that list ever published a paper in the school's newspapers?"

What kind of database is that?

I'm a very big fan of it, and i know it's a fake database. :P
But i think it's very cool! xD
- But yeah... i might need to start with something smaller before going into building my own OS, i guess. xD (LOL!)

Regards

Fjupt

marin123
November 3rd, 2011, 04:53 PM
I'm a very big fan of it, and i know it's a fake database. :P
But i think it's very cool! xD
- But yeah... i might need to start with something smaller before going into building my own OS, i guess. xD (LOL!)

Regards

Fjupt

Then I think you should try Openbox. It is very minimalistic DE and if you like doing things the way Penelope does, then you should try that. And if you like minimalistic DE's, you can also try LXDE, Fluxbox and E17. I think most of them are installable through Synaptic.
Now go! Install Xubuntu and start breaking it :)

Frogs Hair
November 3rd, 2011, 05:27 PM
You could look into the alternate installation , which is a text based installer and you add what you want . This would require some knowledge of what CLI based applications you want to install and what applications are available . This installation may not have internet access , so some home work would be needed before starting . http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/alternative-download

Fjupt
November 3rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
You could look into the alternate installation , which is a text based installer and you add what you want . This would require some knowledge of what CLI based applications you want to install and what applications are available . This installation may not have internet access , so some home work would be needed before starting . http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/alternative-download

Thanks alot. :)

I'll take a look at it and try to see if it's something for me to work on. :)

Regards

Fjupt

Fjupt
November 3rd, 2011, 07:36 PM
Then I think you should try Openbox. It is very minimalistic DE and if you like doing things the way Penelope does, then you should try that. And if you like minimalistic DE's, you can also try LXDE, Fluxbox and E17. I think most of them are installable through Synaptic.
Now go! Install Xubuntu and start breaking it :)

Lol.. :P
Well thanks alot, Mate. :)

So i need to look up Xubuntu, to see how that works compaired to Ubuntu and then there's the openbox.
God i feel like a newbie, but well.. i gotta start somewhere.

Well i'll start with the Xubuntu and take a look on the specifics: LXDE, Fluxbox and E17...

Thanks for the help there. :)

Regards

Fjupt

Fjupt
November 3rd, 2011, 07:49 PM
Btw...

I was thinking. DE is Desktop Environment?
What is the other short terms you guys are using here? :P

As told, i'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to Ubuntu, but i am fairly good with programming and i can teach myself some new languages.

I just need some help with this at the beginning. :P
And you guys have been nice at helping me out for now. :D

So Thanks

Regards

Fjupt

nothingspecial
November 3rd, 2011, 07:58 PM
It is kind of possible to do what you want. You can have seperate "windows" on the console with a web browser, music player and chat client for example.

You can even watch videos without X

You can view images and as you can see take screenshots, but you cannot launch applications that require a window manager such as firefox.

cortman
November 3rd, 2011, 08:19 PM
It is kind of possible to do what you want. You can have seperate "windows" on the console with a web browser, music player and chat client for example.

You can view images and as you can see take screenshots, but you cannot launch applications that require a window manager such as firefox.

I'm intrigued with your music player- what app is that? So far all I've used for command line mp3 is mpg123.

Fjupt
November 3rd, 2011, 08:30 PM

Okay, so what you're saying is that i can't connect to the internet? :)

I'll have to rethink my plan then. :P

But thanks for the in tell.
- How would you run in like that? :)

Regards

Fjupt

nothingspecial
November 3rd, 2011, 08:34 PM
Of course you can connect to th internet, see screenshot 1, I'm on irc and ubuntu forums and streaming my music :)

You just can't use firefox, you have to use a text browser.

nothingspecial
November 3rd, 2011, 08:41 PM
There is even a text browser that will let you view images (some anyway), but it's far from perfect and doesn't work within the "window manager"

And as you can see from the pointer, you can use a mouse/touchpad too :)

Fjupt
November 3rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
There is even a text browser that will let you view images (some anyway), but it's far from perfect and doesn't work within the "window manager"

And as you can see from the pointer, you can use a mouse/touchpad too :)

That's pretty awesome...
How have you made that work for you? :)

Regards

Fjupt

Fjupt
November 4th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I don't know if it's because you're protective of your system, but could you at least tell me what language it's programmed in? :)

Or if there's any program to make it with?

Thanks alot.

Regards

Fjupt

nothingspecial
November 4th, 2011, 07:22 PM
The programs are links2 with the -g option, mplayer, fbgrab and fbi.

But you have to change permissions of the framebuffer to use them without X. That is unsafe especially for a production machine.

I'm not going to lead you down a path that gets your machine owned.

Sorry :(

It is also possible to compile a custom kernel with framebuffer support enabled but I've never tried that.

You are fine however using any of the other programs in a console though. I was using elinks, squeezeslave (not in the repos) and irssi. :)

Fjupt
November 4th, 2011, 09:22 PM
The programs are links2 with the -g option, mplayer, fbgrab and fbi.

But you have to change permissions of the framebuffer to use them without X. That is unsafe especially for a production machine.

I'm not going to lead you down a path that gets your machine owned.

Sorry :(

It is also possible to compile a custom kernel with framebuffer support enabled but I've never tried that.

You are fine however using any of the other programs in a console though. I was using elinks, squeezeslave (not in the repos) and irssi. :)

Okay. :) Thanks alot. :P

atm. i'm trying out Openbox, just to start somewhere. :)

But thanks for the feedback and support. :*
You are a sweetheart.

Regards

Fjupt

- and since i've got troubles getting KDE and Openbox to work properly then i doubt i should give myself any more challenges... LOL.