PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity Launcher bar and Cairo dock both showing

olympic
October 29th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Greetings all.
Yesterday I downloaded and installed Cairo dock on my 11.10 installation. I could find no way to boot into the Cairo dock bar in lieu of the Unity launcher and have somehow now managed to have both bar showing at the same time. See "Snapshot2.jpg"

I also seem to be missing the "Close, Maximize and Minimize" buttons which normally are at the top left of the screen before the Menu list. See "Snapshot3.jpg"

I usually manage to resolve my problems by searching through the forums etc, but have had no luck with either of these issues.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

hansdown
October 29th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Hi, olympic.

Cairo dock is indepentant of, unity.

It will not erase unity.

Sorry?

olympic
October 29th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Does this mean that I cannot replace the Unity launcher bar with the Cairo dock bar?

hansdown
October 29th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Does this mean that I cannot replace the Unity launcher bar with the Cairo dock bar?

I think so.

Somebody please correct me, if I'm wrong......please?

olympic
October 29th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Found this article on the Cairo dock website.
Have not tried it yet as I do not have the "Unity Plugin" option
available in the Compiz Manager.

http://www.glx-dock.org/bg_topic.php?t=5475

Cheers

hansdown
October 29th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I figured I'd install comoiz manager, to try to help.

Funny story.... it crashed, had to force quit, no more unity bar, no super key function.

I'm hooped.

Oh, well.

makitso
October 29th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I run both Cairo and AWN docks on Ubuntu 11.10 machines. I have experimented with running them on Unity. In Compiz, you can change the unity plugin to autohide so that its not showing by default. The only problem I have found is that when you launch something from a dock such as AWN or Cairo, the unity dock pops in and out. So, for this reason, I use the Gnome 3 shell and everything works correctly. Install the Gnome Tweak to correct the button problem.

fabounet
November 18th, 2011, 03:39 PM
A quick tuto on how to start with a Cairo-Dock session rather than Unity (http://www.glx-dock.org/ww_page.php?p=Replace%20Unity&lang=en)

Or you could also disable the Unity plug-in in Compiz, but it's much cleaner to use another session, and keep them independant.

Cairo-Dock also has a Unity-like theme, which is a good base to start with :-)