PDA

View Full Version : Application for Ubuntu Membership - Dangertux

Dangertux
October 29th, 2011, 02:35 AM
I am applying for Ubuntu Membership.

Though newer to this community, I have become very attached to it in the short time that I've been here. I have found a great amount of pleasure in helping and supporting this wonderful community, and look forward to continuing to do so in the future.

Wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/dangertux) Feel free to leave comments, encouragement and if you feel it's necessary hate mail.

Launchpad (https://launchpad.net/%7Edangertux) I haven't really done too much with this yet.

Once again I am thankful for any support and all the great friends I've met while in this community :-)

haqking
October 29th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Best of Luck.

Dangertux has made some outstanding contributions in the time here as a member, particularly in the security related support areas.

I support his membership application 110%.

He is indicative of one of the reasons i enjoy online communities.

Good luck

Rubi1200
October 29th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Best of luck with the application for membership.

Lars Noodén
October 29th, 2011, 12:49 PM
+1

Dangertux is an outstanding contributor to the forum.

Dangertux
October 29th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the support everyone :-)

CharlesA
October 29th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Huge +1 from me. You know a great deal about security and have always been quite helpful.

Dangertux
October 29th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the support :-)

matt_symes
October 30th, 2011, 04:10 PM
You have a big thumbs up from me as well.

Your posts are top dollar and dispel some of the myths with security.

Good luck.

raja.genupula
October 30th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Hi man
Best of luck man.

Dangertux
October 30th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the support, I really hope that I've been at least a little helpful.

:-D

wildmanne39
October 31st, 2011, 05:11 AM
Hi, good luck on your membership application.

Dangertux
October 31st, 2011, 05:20 AM

fantab
November 2nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
Best of Luck man and thanks for the wiki on Oneiric Security.

Dangertux
November 2nd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the support, glad the info was helpful to you :-)

BlinkinCat
November 2nd, 2011, 04:12 PM
The very best of luck for your application.

Dangertux
November 2nd, 2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks again for the support :)

OpSecShellshock
November 3rd, 2011, 07:33 PM
If I were the kind of person who trusts people's advice without thinking about it, I would absolutely trust DT's advice without thinking about it. As it is, I think about it and then trust it.

Dangertux
November 3rd, 2011, 07:38 PM
Wow...Thank you for the flattering remark, and the support :-)

CharlesA
November 3rd, 2011, 07:39 PM
If I were the kind of person who trusts people's advice without thinking about it, I would absolutely trust DT's advice without thinking about it. As it is, I think about it and then trust it.
+9000. His advice has always been good.

Dangertux
November 3rd, 2011, 07:50 PM
Wow...If I was the sensitive type of guy I would cry for real...Who am I kidding...Group hug? ;-)

Thanks again everyone.

MrLeek
November 4th, 2011, 12:17 PM

Totally concur with this - Danger has jumped on board to help on a "security guide for newbies". He's been offering good constructive advice whilst highlighting the pitfalls in the approach that us newbies need to watch out for.

Comes across as a good guy, knows his stuff - and the fact that other names that I trust are vouching for him just seals the deal for me.

Dangertux
November 4th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the kind words as support :-)

Toz
November 4th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I absolutely agree with everyone's comments. Good luck Dangertux.

Dangertux
November 4th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Thank you for the support :-)

Ms. Daisy
November 10th, 2011, 03:34 AM
I'm a big fan of Dangertux. I truly appreciate his obvious dedication to security & in helping on the forum. If you're looking for "sustained and significant," you need only to take a glance in the Security Discussions. Most significant to me personally is this mega-thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1873643. That thread led to the BasicSecurity Wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity), which advanced my personal knowledge of Ubuntu & security immeasurably. I really don't know how you get more significant than that.

That and he's kind of a cool guy, too :)

sammiev
November 10th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Hi, good luck on your membership application. Have read many of your post. :)

Dangertux
November 10th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Thank you both for the support :-)

@Ms. Daisy - I'm glad that I have been helpful. On a side note... I don't think anyone has ever called me cool... I'm flattered :-)

As always thanks again everyone. Even if I don't get membership, it's really nice to know that at least some of the stuff I've done here has helped someone in some way.

CharlesA
November 10th, 2011, 04:34 AM
That security basics thread is epic. :)

1clue
November 10th, 2011, 05:24 AM
+1.

I've already suggested that one of his posts should be on the official documentation.

Dangertux
November 10th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the support 1clue :-)

Epic huh? ;-)

Doug S
November 13th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I fully support Dangertux's application for Membership. I can not improve on all of the previous posters comments of support and how much Adam has contibuted, except to say: There are maybe 4 or 5 regular posters, DT being one, whose postings I seek out just to see what they have to say, regardless of the original question.
On the subject of it not being much time since DT joined the forums: If there ever was a case for a shorter join to membership time, I think this would be the one.

Dangertux
November 13th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I fully support Dangertux's application for Membership. I can not improve on all of the previous posters comments of support and how much Adam has contibuted, except to say: There are maybe 4 or 5 regular posters, DT being one, whose postings I seek out just to see what they have to say, regardless of the original question.
On the subject of it not being much time since DT joined the forums: If there ever was a case for a shorter join to membership time, I think this would be the one.

Thank you for the support and kind words Doug :-)

ubudog
November 17th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Best of luck, glad to see you're applying!

Dangertux
November 17th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Best of luck, glad to see you're applying!

CJ-1990
November 17th, 2011, 03:43 AM
I too fully support Dangertux' application for membership :)

He is one very outstanding poster, always helpful and polite, a font of knowledge.

Best of luck dood (Y)

Dangertux
November 17th, 2011, 03:56 AM
I too fully support Dangertux' application for membership :)

He is one very outstanding poster, always helpful and polite, a font of knowledge.

Best of luck dood (Y)

Lemme know how that BT5 install goes, if you have anymore issues ;-)

mörgæs
November 17th, 2011, 09:19 AM
You are among the best within security matters, which is one of the top qualifications one can have.

However, you have only been active in the forum for a few months, and in general I don't support anyone's membership after such short period of time.

If you keep a steady activity (of which I have no doubt), you have my recommendation.

Dangertux
November 17th, 2011, 05:01 PM
You are among the best within security matters, which is one of the top qualifications one can have.

However, you have only been active in the forum for a few months, and in general I don't support anyone's membership after such short period of time.

If you keep a steady activity (of which I have no doubt), you have my recommendation.

Thank you for your honesty and your kind words, I understand your feelings on the subject and if that is the decision I would completely understand. :-)

jonobr
December 2nd, 2011, 01:02 AM
DTs posts are excellent, I never mentioned it before, apologies DT. I want to say thanks for all the information i have learned from you, your top class

Dangertux
December 2nd, 2011, 01:24 AM
DTs posts are excellent, I never mentioned it before, apologies DT. I want to say thanks for all the information i have learned from you, your top class

Thank you very much for the kind words and support :-)

spynappels
December 2nd, 2011, 01:06 PM
I thought I'd already added to this thread, but apparently not, so here goes....

+1 from me too, DangerTux is very knowledgeable and helpful and a real asset to UbuntuForums.

Dangertux
December 3rd, 2011, 03:39 AM
I thought I'd already added to this thread, but apparently not, so here goes....

+1 from me too, DangerTux is very knowledgeable and helpful and a real asset to UbuntuForums.

Thank you for the support and kind words :-)

IWantFroyo
December 3rd, 2011, 04:08 PM
Dangertux's posts are always helpful and kind. He is a highly valuable member of the forums, and I give him my full support.

Dangertux
December 3rd, 2011, 04:19 PM
Dangertux's posts are always helpful and kind. He is a highly valuable member of the forums, and I give him my full support.

Thank you for the support and kind words ;-)

poliltimmy
December 15th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Dangertux is helpful and never condescending. I think he would be the exact type you should be looking for. Good luck!

Soul-Sing
December 18th, 2011, 10:18 PM
A big +1 from me as well.
Great comments, great never ending support. Great wiki/howto's.

Dangertux
December 19th, 2011, 02:57 AM
A big +1 from me as well.
Great comments, great never ending support. Great wiki/howto's.

Thanks for the support.

wolfen69
December 19th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I'm of the belief that people need to pay their dues when it comes to community stuff. It's not to take away from anything that you've done, as I'm sure some of you could run circles around me at certain things. All us geeks have our "specialties". And we do well. Dangertux is "worthy", but like most responses, time is a factor. How much time have you spent?

But Dangertux is definitely one of the top posters, from a quality standpoint. I enjoy reading his posts.

Dangertux
December 19th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I'm of the belief that people need to pay their dues when it comes to community stuff. It's not to take away from anything that you've done, as I'm sure some of you could run circles around me at certain things. All us geeks have our "specialties". And we do well. Dangertux is "worthy", but like most responses, time is a factor. How much time have you spent?

But Dangertux is definitely one of the top posters, from a quality standpoint. I enjoy reading his posts.

Well first thank you for your support. However, I'm going to use your reply as a spring board for an idea I've been batting back and forth in my head for a while and considered not posting.

Even the shortest duration of time, if given the proper chain of events can have an extreme impact. You can google the names of great individuals who's lives have been cut short, though their impressions on the world will last for hundreds or thousands of years.

Now this is hardly to say that my postings and support of this community will have that far reaching of an impact , as that would be a little callous and egotistical. However, I would encourage all of those with the time argument to realize that time spent is not necessarily equal to devotion. It can be a measure of it, however it is not necessarily the only factor involved.

That being said -- this is the internet and only a handful of you know anything about me personally. So whatever the decision, I love the community and will continue to be a part of it so long as I am welcome. So if I haven't "paid my dues" so to speak, then so be it.

P.S : Worrying about who would run circles around someone else is utterly futile. If I could run circles around anyone, I'm sure there is someone that could run them equally well around me.

wolfen69
December 19th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Perhaps I should have worded my post differently, and apologize if it came across the wrong way. But I do support your membership application. Good luck to you.

KiwiNZ
December 22nd, 2011, 08:42 PM
I have given this application a lot of thought. I agree that Dangertux is knowledgeable and a good participant on these Forums. However one of the primary prerequisites for membership is "sustained and significant contributions". Given Dangertux reletively short term membership on these Forums, 6 months at the time of writting I cannot see how this prerequisite has been met.

Given this I cannot support the application at this time although I am sure if the contributions are sustained membership become available in the not too distant future.

Dangertux
December 22nd, 2011, 09:02 PM
I have given this application a lot of thought. I agree that Dangertux is knowledgeable and a good participant on these Forums. However one of the primary prerequisites for membership is "sustained and significant contributions". Given Dangertux reletively short term membership on these Forums, 6 months at the time of writting I cannot see how this prerequisite has been met.

Given this I cannot support the application at this time although I am sure if the contributions are sustained membership become available in the not too distant future.

Thank you for the time and effort put into rendering your decision. The honesty is greatly appreciated. As I have stated before, if the communal decision reflects this I would understand. Though my opinion is different, that's what makes a horse race as they say ;-)

Thanks again for the honesty and time taken to consider the application.

- DT -

Dry Lips
December 25th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Although Dangertux is a new member of this forum, and thus might have to wait a bit before his application becomes accepted, I would like to say that I support his application wholeheartedly. He is a very knowledgeable and helpful person and his expertise and kindness is a great asset to this community.

Good luck with your application DT!

Double.J
January 21st, 2012, 06:54 PM
I would like to add my support to your application DangerTux.

Having read what other's have said about the time you have served, I find that at the time of writing you are averaging over 7 support posts per day, and as we can all attest the information is not only of the very highest quality, but also in one of the most rare areas of knowledge.

I find myself referring to your work both in support and on my own systems! I think you have a lot to offer the community as a member. I was unsure about the time served issue that people have referred to in this thread, so I looked it up and noticed that 6 months is the minimum. As you are over that bottom limit, I hope that your continued input to the forums goes rewarded!

Keep up the fantastic work DangerTux and hopefully by keeping both the quality of your posts and the quantity over the next 2 months will see you made member!

All the best :)

sudodus
January 21st, 2012, 06:58 PM
I support to your application DangerTux.

Good luck :-)

jramshu
January 24th, 2012, 03:08 AM
First DT, sorry I didn't see this before.

I FULLY support your application.

DT is always ready and willing to give advice on these forums. Every time I have logged in he is on here. His advice is always solid. He has a vast understanding of security and vulnerabilities that most crackers don't. He is exactly what these forums need. He, along with haqking and I can't leave out CharlesA, have brought the security discussion section to life. If you haven't read his blog, you should.

That's all I got to say about that. (stolen from Forrest Gump) lol.

Edit: There are others that brouht the sec disc to life, but DT is the most active. There are several more, you know who you are.

effenberg0x0
January 24th, 2012, 05:04 AM
I haven't had the opportunity to meet and interact with Dangertux directly but, from everything I read from him in this forum, it became clear to me he's one of those guys that clearly should be in a membership / leardership position. I support meritocracy as the best way to choose our leaders and his knowledge of Linux/Ubuntu is unquestionably superior to that of most users and, thus, a valuable asset. To not offer the community recognition to such potential would be a waste.

But, above all that, he works for Nerv (look at his avatar) and I really hope to, one day, become an EVA pilot.

Good Luck :)