PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu inside Windows

Harley36
October 29th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Is there any problem with installing Ubuntu 11.10 thru windows xp? I have always been afraid to go that route but am in a situation now that it would help. I do banking and shoping on line because I cant get out.

critin
October 29th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Yes, there's Wubi. There is a Wubi forum for help with it. Look through the menu links for it.

here it is in the General help forum : Sticky: Wubi megathread (sticky:%20Wubi%20megathread)

Harley36
October 29th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the link. I will give it a try. I have used Wubi, but am not sure how safe it is as a windows app.

critin
October 29th, 2011, 04:08 AM
My first ubuntu was with Wubi and I used it for several years. I never had a problem with it or Windows. Of course that was with the older versions, I don't know how it's going with the new one.

critin
October 29th, 2011, 06:03 AM
It's just as easy to give it a partition of its own, and it's safer for Windows. IMO. It's really easy to install if you just let it do default. You'll have to 'dual boot' in either case.

Mark Phelps
October 31st, 2011, 06:06 PM
Is there any problem with installing Ubuntu 11.10 thru windows xp? I have always been afraid to go that route but am in a situation now that it would help. I do banking and shoping on line because I cant get out.

Regardless of what others may tell you, Wubi is the SAFEST way to go for one basic reason -- no partitioning is involved.

The main disasters I see on this forum with folks having trashed their Windows setup were due to partitioning mistakes when trying to install Ubuntu in traditional dual-boot setup, usually because of one or both of the following:
1) Really confusing installer that makes it really EASY to accidentally reformat your Windows partition
2) Clumsy partitioning tool that can corrupt Windows OS partitions while "shrinking" them to make room for Ubuntu.

Plus, if you find you really like using Ubuntu, you can them remove what you have very easily and come back to get advice on going the repartitioning route.