PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update 11.10 lost menus/laucher

Lankster
October 28th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Hi guys just wanted to post his as Ive been having this problem.
(Im a newbie first off)

I installed 11.10 and it runs good.. once I do the online update thats when it falls apart.

It looks to me like its updating and defaulting back to a earlier version. I loose all the menus (launchers I guess its call) on the left side.

A new bar at the top of the page and there is no power off buttons any more. I have to do a ctrl-alt-del to logout..

The funny thing is its loading my facebook account and I see messages from that over on the right. (the little black pop up box)

No "F" keys work other then the ctrl-alt-F1-F5 keys..

When I start ubuntu it shows the new login screen then my username and pw and it loads to this nothing screen... also there is no switch windows (ctrl-alt- arrow)

I re-installed Ubuntu and it all was fine. but once I do the updates its all bad.
no laucher, no menus..

Am very lost to what to do about this problem...??

Lankster
October 28th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I also did the Gnome Classicat the login screen and nothing changed.

The bar looks like this

---------------------------------------------
File - Edit - View - Go - Bookmarks - Help
---------------------------------------------
|
----------------------------
New Window
Create New Folder
Create New Document
---
Connect to server

Bookmarks:
edit bookmarks
-----
Documents
Music
Pic
Video
Download

akoskm
October 28th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Same thing happened with me yesterday after doing updates.
Resetting unity solved some of the problems but it still wasn't perfect... However I reinstalled my system a few times due to other problems and last time the updates aren't ruined unity.. interesting.
http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/how-to-reset-unity-to-default-settings-in-ubuntu/

Lankster
October 28th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Ok..... everything I read tells me to go back to classic....

At the logon bar I clicked on the star in the top right of that menu ☼ then in the pop up menu I clicked on "Ubuntu 2D" and that reset my launcher menus back up again and I can work on the rest from this point.

Now I know... thanks for the help guys.

Mark Phelps
October 31st, 2011, 06:08 PM
If you decide that you want to go back to Unity, then bookmark the link below as it has details on what's needed to get Unity back once it quits working:

http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/04/missing-top-and-side-panels-in-unity.html