PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.10 (unity) volume icon missing after removing (and re-installing) pulseaudio

birauser
October 28th, 2011, 04:53 PM
howdy fellas,

as I was experiencing problems with skype, I've decided to try removing pulseaudio. the internal microphone, in fact, seemed to work properly in audacity when alsa was selected,whereas it kept popping and crackling when using skype.

I removed pulseaudio via terminal, and I immediatly noticed that the volume icon on the top right corner of the screen (the tray) was missing. the Fn keys didn't work as well.

After re-installing pulseaudio the fn keys went back to their normal behaviour, so that I could hear the "pops" when adjusting the volume and see the adjusting horizontal fader "hovering" in the top right corner of the screen. however, the volume icon was still missing.

Honestly, I don't really want to reinstall. It's just a minor issue, and it does not affect usability in any manner whatsoever (since I can access the sound control panel in other ways). It's frustrating, anyway, and I'm really looking forward to solve the issue. I've searched throughout the forums, but I didn't find a solution.

thanks a lot.

post scriptum: does anyone of you have and idea about how to make skype (and only skype) work with alsa? thanks.

JPELLOIS
November 5th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Hello,

I had the same problem when I removed pulseaudio from my ubuntu 11.10 ...

Try to see if these package are installed in synaptic (be care I have a 64bit version so you might change the amd64 to x86)

ubuntu-desktop:amd64 (1.245),
libcanberra-pulse:amd64 (0.28-0ubuntu11),
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth:amd64 (1.0-0ubuntu3),
pulseaudio:amd64 (1.0-0ubuntu3),
pulseaudio-module-x11:amd64 (1.0-0ubuntu3),
pulseaudio-module-gconf:amd64 (1.0-0ubuntu3),
indicator-sound:amd64 (0.7.9-0ubuntu1),
pulseaudio-esound-compat:amd64 (1.0-0ubuntu3)

For skype, i did'nt find a solution.
I think we have to wait for a solution from canonical because the "alsa solution" is not available with 11.10 !

Best Regards

sdbillin
November 30th, 2011, 01:13 AM
I removed pulse due to a problem with setting the volume - for some reason with pulse the master goes from mute, to very quiet then no change right until it jumps to an ear rupturing level - I could watch the volume changing in aslamixer.
Removing pulse sorted it out.

Anyway, to get the volume icon back -

sudo apt-get install indicator-sound
and kill the panel to get to take effect

killall unity-panel-service

r9s
January 13th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I have the same problem (I deleted pulseaudio but then I installed it) I don't have sound control on the panel.

http://i.imgur.com/zsSSi.png

Strangely, I have installed indicator-sound and still don't have that sound control. Nay, I don't even have any settings in "Sound Settings":

http://i.imgur.com/vSAoH.png

What Can I do to fix it?

@edit:

I ran "Volume Control PulseAudio" from unity launcher and I got this:

http://i.imgur.com/D5sZF.png

So I ran start-pulseaudio-x11:

$ start-pulseaudio-x11
Connection failed: Connection refused
pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused

YumaJim
February 19th, 2012, 10:46 PM
I removed pulse due to a problem with setting the volume - for some reason with pulse the master goes from mute, to very quiet then no change right until it jumps to an ear rupturing level - I could watch the volume changing in aslamixer.
Removing pulse sorted it out.

Thanks that restored the sound icon for me.
YumaJim

mayid
March 20th, 2012, 01:53 AM
I have the very same problem than r9s. I messed things up trying to install an audio equalizer for pulseaudio. Yesterday it worked, indeed, but today (after rebooting, let's say) it doesn't. The sound icon is missing. And the whole sound configuration area is blank. Just like in the pictures above.

Note: for other users there's still sound. I tried deleting the content of .pulse folder and restarting pulseaudio but that won't do the job.

riopiedra
March 28th, 2012, 08:36 AM
howdy fellas,

as I was experiencing problems with skype, I've decided to try removing pulseaudio. the internal microphone, in fact, seemed to work properly in audacity when alsa was selected,whereas it kept popping and crackling when using skype.

I removed pulseaudio via terminal, and I immediatly noticed that the volume icon on the top right corner of the screen (the tray) was missing. the Fn keys didn't work as well.

After re-installing pulseaudio the fn keys went back to their normal behaviour, so that I could hear the "pops" when adjusting the volume and see the adjusting horizontal fader "hovering" in the top right corner of the screen. however, the volume icon was still missing.

Honestly, I don't really want to reinstall. It's just a minor issue, and it does not affect usability in any manner whatsoever (since I can access the sound control panel in other ways). It's frustrating, anyway, and I'm really looking forward to solve the issue. I've searched throughout the forums, but I didn't find a solution.

thanks a lot.

post scriptum: does anyone of you have and idea about how to make skype (and only skype) work with alsa? thanks.

What I have made when I get the same problem?
I remove pulseadio: sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
I remove skype from the software center (from where I installed it).
Restarted the system. Installed again indicator-sound: sudo apt-get install indicator-sound
This install pulseaudio and all the necessary things.
Then install skype from the software center.
Made a restart.
The sound indicator appeared. Then start skype. No sound in skype. Go to the menu Options in the skype menu. Select sound settings, and put everything to the default device (in my case it is in the top line of the list). Test the sound - OK. Make a testing call - OK.

Toadmund
April 25th, 2012, 03:23 PM

Jeez, purged and re-installed a few sound items from another post, still no sound, then lost my icon.
Fixed the sound problem by pushing the proper button on my stereo](*,)

Thanks for this sound icon fix.

tatsujin
September 24th, 2012, 01:45 PM
For users with indicator-sound installed but still no icon (but sound works), try also installing indicator-sound-gtk2. That fixed it for me (xfce 4.10 in (x)ubuntu 12.04).

stanrogo
May 4th, 2013, 02:05 PM
This is also what worked for me! Thanks a bunch for this awesome tip man!