PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11:10: Need a desktop Window Manager

noloader
October 28th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Hi All,

I just installed Ubuntu 11.10. It comes with a netbook/tablet Windows Manager. I'd like a Desktop Window Manager since the machine is a desktop with a mouse and keyboard.

I looked through System Settings (Appearance, Screen, Display) and could not find a setting. Also, the login screen does not appear to offer a setting.

How does one select a window manager for desktops?

Jeff

3Miro
October 28th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Sarcasm aside, you can pick a session by clicking on the gear wheel on the longin screen (to the right of your username).

If you are not happy with Unity, you can try Gnome-shell (although that will probably not qualify as Desktop DE either). You also have Gnome-session-fallback (i.e. port of Gnome 2 to GTK3). I personally am pretty happy with xfce (you can just install xfce4, no need to pull all the settings from the xubuntu-desktop). KDE and LXDE are other alternatives.

Everything is available in the repositories.

noloader
October 28th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Sarcasm aside,
Its actually a fact of the matter. I used to cite Ubuntu's website and point folks to Ubuntu's marketing material. Its now been taken it down.

you can pick a session by clicking on the gear wheel on the longin screen (to the right of your username).
I get Unity form both "Ubuntu" and "Ubuntu 2D".

If you are not happy with Unity, you can try Gnome-shell (although that will probably not qualify as Desktop DE either). You also have Gnome-session-fallback (i.e. port of Gnome 2 to GTK3). I personally am pretty happy with xfce (you can just install xfce4, no need to pull all the settings from the xubuntu-desktop). KDE and LXDE are other alternatives.
OK, thanks.

I think Unity would look great on a tablet, such as my iPad. But it has no place on my desktops or servers.

Jeff

3Miro
October 28th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Its actually a fact of the matter. I used to cite Ubuntu's website and point folks to Ubuntu's marketing material. Its now been taken it down.

Currently they are claiming that the desktop is their primary target. I am not sure the small indicator icons on the top panel would work on a tablet. The the huge left bar really messes you on a 4:3 monitor. There are plenty of problem with functionality too.

I guess Unity may work for people that have never used a computer before (or only know Windows or not much Mac), but it is dysfunctional and I don't see myself using it in the near future. I switched to Xfce around the time of 10.04 anyway.

I get Unity form both "Ubuntu" and "Ubuntu 2D".

You have to install the other alternatives first. Nothing will appear until you get either Gnome-shell, Gnome-fallback, Xfce, KDE, LXDE, OpenBox or something else.

AlanR8
October 28th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I liked Gnome as it was and did not like Unity. Then I tried it and quite liked it!

Then I found Gnome Shell and have not looked back since!