PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Emulate mouse actions on a touch-screen, e.g. right-click

Paddy Landau
October 28th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but searching has not found me any answer.

I want to know how to do various mouse actions on a touch-screen. I imagine that some actions are not possible on a touch-screen.

(I'm using Unity on 11.04, by the way.)

Here is a list of mouse actions that work on Ubuntu, with the equivalents (where I know them) for the touch-screen.

Left button actions:

Click = tap
Double-click = tap twice
Drag and drop = Drag the item

Right button actions:

Click = two-finger tap

Middle button actions:

Click = ?
Drag and drop = ?

Non-button actions:

Hover = ?

Although these are not important on a computer with a mouse, some of them will be important on touch-screen tablets, particularly right-click and hover.

KyleRickards
January 5th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but searching has not found me any answer.

I want to know how to do various mouse actions on a touch-screen. I imagine that some actions are not possible on a touch-screen.

(I'm using Unity on 11.04, by the way.)

Here is a list of mouse actions that work on Ubuntu, with the equivalents (where I know them) for the touch-screen.

Left button actions:

Click = tap
Double-click = tap twice
Drag and drop = Drag the item

Right button actions:

Click = two-finger tap

Middle button actions:

Click = ?
Drag and drop = ?

Non-button actions:

Hover = ?

Although these are not important on a computer with a mouse, some of them will be important on touch-screen tablets, particularly right-click and hover.

Hi

How are you doing the right click action? I cannot do it on 11.10?

Paddy Landau
January 5th, 2012, 05:46 PM
How are you doing the right click action? I cannot do it on 11.10?
A firm two-finger press (the fingers far enough apart that the touch-screen realises it). I sometimes find I have to do a single left-click first.

I have 11.04; I don't know if 11.10 would be any different. I would test it for you if I could get 11.10 to boot on my computer :-?

KyleRickards
January 5th, 2012, 06:55 PM
A firm two-finger press (the fingers far enough apart that the touch-screen realises it). I sometimes find I have to do a single left-click first.

I have 11.04; I don't know if 11.10 would be any different. I would test it for you if I could get 11.10 to boot on my computer :-?

Thanks Paddy! I am using a touch screen monitor rather than tablet but cannot get it to work for love nor money!

Paddy Landau
January 5th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks Paddy! I am using a touch screen monitor rather than tablet but cannot get it to work for love nor money!
Sorry, I don't know. To create a right-click, I open two fingers about 2 inches apart and give a firm tap with both at the same time.

I wish there were a formal description somewhere of what is and isn't supported.

I wonder if the support is at the hardware or BIOS level, and not at the software level? I don't know how to find out.

Seq
January 5th, 2012, 07:56 PM

Your touchscreen will need to support multiple touch events. If it doesn't, pressing two fingers on the screen will cause an event roughly half-way between them (or other odd behaviour).

KyleRickards
January 5th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Your touchscreen will need to support multiple touch events. If it doesn't, pressing two fingers on the screen will cause an event roughly half-way between them (or other odd behaviour).

Hi Seq

Not to hijack Paddy's thread, but the screen does (I logged back into Windows to check), I am less bothered by the multitouch than the ability to bring a menu up by using the screen. I gather from other threads multitouch is on the way in future for Ubuntu?

(I have the Acer T231H)

Kyle