PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] xscreensaver login screen

linux.girl
October 28th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Hi everyone,

I installed xscreensaver and am using it as my default instead of the gnome one (which is basically just a black screen). Only "issue" is that the login screen (screensaver is on and you want to login again) is quite ugly, with some fire symbol in it, or something like it.

So I was wondering, is there any way I can change the way xscreensaver's login screen looks like?

I have ubuntu 11.10 64 bit.

thnx in advance,

linux.girl

linux.girl
November 4th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Hello friends,

No one has any ideas how can I change the login screen? I have been googling it, but can't find an answer :(

I am grateful in advance for any help.

Thanks!

linux.girl

amjjawad
November 5th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Hello friends,

No one has any ideas how can I change the login screen? I have been googling it, but can't find an answer :(

I am grateful in advance for any help.

Thanks!

linux.girl

Hi,

I guess you are talking about the Screen where it says: Please Enter your Password right? I don't think you can change that. For me, I wouldn't care much about it. XScreensave is meant to be used for Lightweight Distributions such us Lubuntu where I'm a member of its team.

GNOME Screensaver perhaps has better options and look. Any reason why you changed it?

linux.girl
November 5th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Hi there,

Thanks for the answer!

Yes, thats exactly what Im talking about.

The reason i changed from gnome to xscreensaver is because on ubuntu oneiric the gnome screensaver is just a black screen.

Is there a way to get "normal" screensavers with gnome on the new ubuntu oneiric? From what I read there isnt, but if you know a way I would gladly go back to gnome.

If I have to stick with xscreensaver though, I will still try to find a way to change the login window because sometimes it gets stuck, doesnt let me type my password :-(

Thanks again,

linux.girl

amjjawad
November 5th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Hi there,

Thanks for the answer!

Hi and welcome!

The reason i changed from gnome to xscreensaver is because on ubuntu oneiric the gnome screensaver is just a black screen.

Do you mean that's the only option you have and there is no other option? as far as I remember, there is many options to choose from.

Is there a way to get "normal" screensavers with gnome on the new ubuntu oneiric? From what I read there isnt, but if you know a way I would gladly go back to gnome.

I'm afraid I didn't understand what you mean?

If I have to stick with xscreensaver though, I will still try to find a way to change the login window because sometimes it gets stuck, doesnt let me type my password :-(

What is your graphics card? I had some issues back on Ubuntu 10.04 with some screen savers and Blank Screensaver was the only option that worked with me. However, with 11.04, everything was just fine.

I'm not an Ubuntu User any more. I'm using Lubuntu and didn't even install Ubuntu 11.10 :)

linux.girl
November 11th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Hi again :-)

The problem I have with the black screensaver is not related to my graphics card, it is that ubuntu 11.10 does not have a screensaver, actually, it does, but it is a black one. You can read more about it here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11339093

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-screensaver

Searching online, i found that everyone recommends to use xscreensaver do solve this issue. I am quite happy with it, just the login screen bothers me :-(

amjjawad
November 11th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Hi again :-)

The problem I have with the black screensaver is not related to my graphics card, it is that ubuntu 11.10 does not have a screensaver, actually, it does, but it is a black one. You can read more about it here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11339093

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-screensaver

Searching online, i found that everyone recommends to use xscreensaver do solve this issue. I am quite happy with it, just the login screen bothers me :-(

Have you tried gnome-screensaver?

Edit: that's for sure news to me. I have stopped using Ubuntu once and for all. I'm so much happy with Lubuntu and there is no way back :)

linux.girl
November 15th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Have you tried gnome-screensaver?

Edit: that's for sure news to me. I have stopped using Ubuntu once and for all. I'm so much happy with Lubuntu and there is no way back :)

lol, no problem, thanks for trying to help anyways, I really appreciate!!

:D

amjjawad
November 15th, 2011, 09:38 PM
lol, no problem, thanks for trying to help anyways, I really appreciate!!

You welcome but I have done nothing much.

Subito Piano
January 3rd, 2012, 05:34 AM
linux.girl: if still interested, maybe look here (http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic/7907/taking-the-ugly-out-of-xscreensaver/)

linux.girl
January 3rd, 2012, 04:13 PM
Super relevant, thanks! I will check it out and see if they have a solution suitable for my needs.

Subito Piano
January 3rd, 2012, 07:22 PM
Yeah, it's a bit of a remix of the same theme. You can edit the color codes to your liking -- change them using the usual hex codes and restart to see how it looks. There's no real image change but it's an improvement...idk where the flame is kept. (It's SO 8-bit!) :D

amjjawad
January 12th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Super relevant, thanks! I will check it out and see if they have a solution suitable for my needs.

I wouldn't waste my time over that but that's me. However, I'm very glad you still searching for a solution :) I like that spirit ;)
Keep it up and if you have found something useful and manged to do whatever you want, please don't forget to share it with the community here :)

Good Luck and sorry again if I wasn't so much help to you :)