PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Keyboard Language in Ubuntu 11.10 with Gnome 3 ????

nedelkovskiv
October 28th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Hi there i am running Ubuntu 11.10 with Gnome 3 ( i like the old look ) but i cant seem to find how to make visible which language my keyboard is on atm without having to click on the keyboard icon in the top right corner, i used to have this by default but ever since i switched to this new ubuntu and had to install gnome 3 , please if some of you can answer this i would be very thankful

fct
October 28th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Try clicking on activities, search for "config" and launch "System configuration" in the search results. Then choose "Keyboard layout". There (2nd tab if I remember right) you can set the local layout.

crdlb
October 28th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Hi there i am running Ubuntu 11.10 with Gnome 3 ( i like the old look ) but i cant seem to find how to make visible which language my keyboard is on atm without having to click on the keyboard icon in the top right corner, i used to have this by default but ever since i switched to this new ubuntu and had to install gnome 3 , please if some of you can answer this i would be very thankful

This problem is related to Ubuntu's AppIndicator patches. They have modified GNOME to use an indicator instead of a tray icon, but there is no indicator-applet for gnome-panel 3.x in Oneiric. The result is that libappindicator provides a fallback tray icon that is inferior to the both real GNOME tray icon and to the Ubuntu indicator.

The bug for porting indicator-applet is: https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-applet/+bug/724369

There now appears to be a PPA with a mostly-working port available: https://launchpad.net/~jconti/+archive/gnome3/

xslf
February 13th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Hmmm... I installed the applet from the PPA, but gnome still seems to be using the fallback icon not giving me any indication to the active layout.

Other ideas?

Thanks!

xslf
February 13th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Also- please ignore the version info in my profile- I have less than 50 posts so I'm unable to update it to the correct info.