PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.10 - encrypted LVM root - passphrase requested twice on boot

jgsgwis
October 27th, 2011, 11:32 PM
I have a new install of 11.10 on a laptop (HP EliteBook 8540p). I have the hard drive in two partitions - an unencrypted 1G /dev/sda1 which is /boot, and a LUKS encrypted LVM /dev/sda2, which has logical volumes for /, swap, /home, etc. This was created with the "alternative" 64-bit installation disk, and there were no problems. When I boot the computer, it requests the passphrase twice:

| Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount ... done
| Begin: Mounting root file system ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ...
| Unlocking the disk /dev/sda2 (cryptroot)
| Enter passphrase: *******************
| cryptsetup: lvm fs found but no lvm configured
|
| Unlocking the disk /dev/disk/by-uuid/5f43897f-2a9a-899d-5c34-6b4933828ac9 (sda2_crypt)
| Enter passphrase: *******************
|

After entering the same passphrase twice, it boots fine. Now, /dev/sda2 and /dev/disk/by-uuid/5f43897f-2a9a-899d-5c34-6b4933828ac9 (cryptroot and sda2_crypt, respectively) are the same device. Is there any way of not having to enter the passphrase twice? This system previously ran OpenSUSE 11.4 with the exact same disk configuration, so I know it can be done. In this case, I started with a brand new physical disk, so there are no traces of the old OS - that's sitting on a shelf. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

blueblank
November 15th, 2011, 12:01 AM
I usually setup manual partitioning and have to unlock both the root and swap partitions, and I suspect that is what you are doing.