PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Screen fade out, back in, everything but cursor freezes

SPARTAN-118
October 27th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Basically: The title says it all. No matter what I'm doing, whether it's browsing the Ubuntu forums, reading a webcomic, just listening to music; anytime at all, since switching back to the Open Source video drivers for my ATi HD Radeon 3650 card (proprietary gave me heck), I've been having this problem.

The most recent case: I was browsing through the Ubuntu Forums after marking my latest thread (to do with removing Catalyst drivers and re/installing the default ones) as solved, listening to music through Banshee. All of a sudden, my screen fades to black for about a second or two, then fades back to whatever was on screen beforehand. However, though my cursor moves, nothing responds to it. The music keeps playing, and the cursor changes according to whatever control is under it (eg. a text field or link) but, as I said, nothing happens. No button combination I've tried (incl. Ctrl+Alt+Del, Windows habits never go away) have worked to get it "unstuck".

Note that, as the Prefix states, I'm using GNOME 3, on Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot".

SPARTAN-118
October 28th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I should probably also mention that I recently installed a new power supply.

SPARTAN-118
November 6th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Well, I have now officially dealt with this problem. The solution? I now am using Kubuntu; that is, I completely wiped out my Ubuntu installation and am now using (for the most part) pure KDE. This not only fixes this problem, but any other problems I had using Ubuntu (GNOME or Unity).

randywilharm
November 6th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Well, I have now officially dealt with this problem. The solution? I now am using Kubuntu; that is, I completely wiped out my Ubuntu installation and am now using (for the most part) pure KDE. This not only fixes this problem, but any other problems I had using Ubuntu (GNOME or Unity).

Thank you for posting that. I just might switch to KDE soon.

Also:

You mentioned a new power supply...this can only help
provided that it was installed right. The only mistake people
make is not reconnecting all the plugs but you would know it
if that happened.

I installed a 300W one 6 months ago with no problems.