PDA

View Full Version : Dell about to sell Ubuntu PCs in China

Dry Lips
October 27th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Canonical and Dell are teaming up to sell computers with Ubuntu preinstalled at stores in China. The program, which could help improve the mainstream visibility of the Linux-based operating system, will span 220 retail locations.

read more:
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2011/10/dell-canonical-to-sell-ubuntu-pcs-at-retail-locations-in-china.ars

kaldor
October 27th, 2011, 10:01 PM
While I think this is a great, I have a feeling a lot of people will just install a pirated Windows XP.

cgroza
October 27th, 2011, 11:39 PM
While I think this is a great, I have a feeling a lot of people will just install a pirated Windows XP.
I wonder how long they can stay on that old dinosaur...

F.G.
October 27th, 2011, 11:55 PM
That's really interesting.

While piracy is widespread in china I can't help thinking that if that was the intention, the people buying these laptops would either just buy a laptop with pirated XP preinstalled (which i have no doubt is commonplace) or without an OS and not bother with Ubuntu.

Mikeb85
October 28th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Hopefully they'll be successful. I think half the battle for Linux is getting people to use it, most people are afraid to install an OS on their own computer, never mind a different one than they bought it with. If people can use Ubuntu in the store, and know that it will work when they take it home, that's 95% of the battle right there...

sffvba[e0rt
October 28th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Good news.

kaldor
October 28th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Also, what about the large number of websites in China that were designed specifically for IE6 without following any sort of standards? I'd assume modern browsers would have a lot of trouble in some situations.

F.G.
October 28th, 2011, 01:02 AM
I spent about six months in china a few years ago, working in a variety of capacities one of which included researching chinese website for the redesign of my employers website. I pretty much exclusively used firefox without many problems. I've heard about the IE thing, but i never found it an issue.

krapp
October 28th, 2011, 01:45 AM
http://images.wikia.com/villains/images/8/84/Pinky_brain.gif

vasa1
October 28th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Hopefully they'll be successful. I think half the battle for Linux is getting people to use it, most people are afraid to install an OS on their own computer, never mind a different one than they bought it with. If people can use Ubuntu in the store, and know that it will work when they take it home, that's 95% of the battle right there...

I would hope so too. It makes a big difference having a store of a big brand selling computers running Ubuntu. Not to exaggerate but I haven't physically met a single person using Linux. It would be wonderfully reassuring for newbies to know that there's some physical place one could go to to get help. (Note: this is not to downplay the role of this forum by any means!)

Re. some of the other comments.
Vendors near where I stay have moved onto pirated Win 7 (pre-SP1) but do load pirated Win XP if the buyer insists.

Paqman
October 28th, 2011, 05:34 AM
This is awesome, and exactly the way to push Ubuntu into the mainstream. People probably are ready to use an alternative OS, we just need to raise awareness and give them a machine in a box they can buy. I just hope they train the retail staff up properly, because they'll make or break this trial.

HermanAB
October 28th, 2011, 11:06 AM
"I haven't physically met a single person using Linux"

I have met a few, but we are a rare breed. I even know two people that use Apple Macs.

prudra
October 28th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Also, what about the large number of websites in China that were designed specifically for IE6 without following any sort of standards? I'd assume modern browsers would have a lot of trouble in some situations.
One can then install wine, cabextract and ies4linux from www.tatanka.com.br and get IE6 and/or IE7. A few years ago I had to do that in India because my bank allowed natbanking only through IE6. I was then using opensuse-10.3 and I got the advice on suseforum.

习惯了远离
October 28th, 2011, 03:41 PM
It's amazing.I'm Chinese and I live in Beijing. So,I think I should say something .

my English is not very good ,so ,imagining……,I will feel interesting when you read my rough words. Hehe.

a...Most PCs in China are using Windows, and according to my experience, most of those are using Win7, only those who have old old computers are using Xp,maybe because the XP occupies less space in harddrives.

b...The microsoft office and the libreoffice cannot compatible very well, and in China, everyone is used to office03,07or10. Maybe it will be hard for linux users who need to deal with many doc or ppt. Like me,a student, if not my real passion with ubuntu, I would change to windows earlier. In fact, I hate pirating, and cannot bear MS. But for others, they are not me.

c...There are less games , especially popular games which can run on linux os. Let's ignore this, there are less available softwares for linux, like the popular photoshop, and many others you may not know even I say.

d...And many people even don't know there exist a linux in the world or don't know about linux too much, so they have some fears to it , to its command tuminal.

No matter what to say, I just think that linux have a less clear sky in China than aboard.

leclerc65
October 28th, 2011, 04:06 PM
No matter what to say, I just think that linux have a less clear sky in China than aboard.
Use several flavors of Linux, plus install Tor - to give the government spies some headaches.:)

keithpeter
October 28th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Mrosoft office and the libreoffice cannot compatible very well, and in China, everyone is used to office03,07or10. Maybe it will be hard for linux users who need to deal with many doc or ppt.

Hello 习惯了远离

I use Libreoffice and convert documents to and from MS Word and PowerPoint format all the time. I use annotations in the Word files as well. I also use the Export to PDF option both ways when I have to.

Are there specific problems because of language support? The Chinese characters?

Would tutorials about using LibreOffice with MS Office help?

F.G.
October 29th, 2011, 12:31 AM
hi 习惯了远离,
While most of your comments are true, unfortunately, i think they are as true across the world as in Beijing.
in London there are no stores (citation needed) that sell ubuntu laptops. I guess, I hope that if stores somewhere start selling them, more people will start to take an interest and realise that there is user-friendly, free, linux available.

I would be interested to know how popular Mac (OS X) computers are in China (my guess is not so popular).

ps. @leclerc65 I think Tor is partially disabled in China (can still use proxies and the like though).

Jay Car
October 29th, 2011, 05:45 AM
If Dell sells Ubuntu machines in China the same way they did in the US, the China market won't have a chance. To me, their shoddy treatment of Ubuntu was nothing short of sabotage. "Dell recommends Microsoft Windows 7" plastered across every page showing an Ubuntu computer? And that was only if you could even find an Ubuntu computer for sale on their website.

I have no respect for Dell, nor do I believe a word they say when it comes to selling computers with anything but Windows. They act like they want to be friends with the new kid, but they're scared to death that the playground bully might find out.

If Dell markets Ubuntu computers in China with honest enthusiasm and good advertising, and without the "Dell Recommends Win 7" waffling, then I'll come back here and apologise for this post...but I'm doubtful that I'll have to.

Dell...hmph!

习惯了远离
October 29th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Sorry, I'm late
I complain it because all my teachers have the fonts in ppt Bold,so I really meet trouble with “Enter”s and form disorder. The other is that some photographies can't be displayed and just gives me surprises. Maybe it's that I still is a newer and cannot deal with them correctly.

I used Tor……but I just can't make it. I want google ,which is not the google.com.hk. The Baidu is boring with too many abs. Fortunately, I got ipv6, and I'm happy when finally I can make my gmail faster. I can scan the youtube,but can't see any video. don't know why:confused:

Mac is good, even the Apple's other products. Many people feel sorrows when hearing that Steven Jobs is dead. But apple laptop is expensive, and this makes only very few people would pay for it. Most of us use Lenovo, Asus ,Acer or Thinkpad,Dell and Sony too. Mac is cool,I think. But many people would make the apple laptop run win7,surprisingly.
you know I'm not very sure how popular the Mac is. I just know people around me,there are less than ten apple laptops of 300 persons,and in my class of 30s ,only one.
so, you may disappointed.May these data can help you know how Macs popular in China.

习惯了远离
October 29th, 2011, 06:10 AM
So , I want to know how is China like in a foreigner's point. just curious.

ps. well i won't be critical to any point, to different ideas,though I love my land.
so,this is the forums.thanks for reminding me. Anyone can give me some private message, I'll be happy and thankful to see you there.

F.G.
October 29th, 2011, 01:34 PM
hi 习惯了远离 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1482231)

in my experience if you're having trouble with file formats (eg ppt or .doc) there is always a solution and those particular formats should work in Open Office (or Office Libre) without any extra work.

It is interesting that people use Macs with Windows7 i've never seen that before. that would really make Steve Jobs turn in his grave. the issue with cost and market share is similar elsewhere (though maybe a bit less).

So , I want to know how is China like in a foreigner's point. just curious.I love china, I loved living in Beijing, China is very different to most other countries i've been to. the main issues i founds were pollution and some of the personal habits of Beijinger's (i realize that this is cultural and most of these things are on their way out, but still).

If you can't use Tor. proxies should work ok, my main issue was getting the BBC and i found proxies worked fine.
if you're having trouble with youtube it may be your flash player (rather than the great firewall of china) you should try looking for and using the 'flash aid' plugin for firefox.

unfortunately the sheer quantity of intelligence gathering done by China does make privacy a concern for private internet users particularly if you use Chinese or English language i would strongly suggest that you try Tor again or use proxies, and find a way to maintain your privacy on the web.

Gremlinzzz
October 29th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Interesting:popcorn:

Jay Car
December 6th, 2011, 04:43 AM
read more:
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2011/10/dell-canonical-to-sell-ubuntu-pcs-at-retail-locations-in-china.ars

I know, this is an old thread, but still...

I have long said that Dell can't be trusted. I am wondering if there will soon be headlines about Dell dropping Ubuntu products in China in order to promote Windows instead. Sort of like this:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/12/dell-kills-off-its-last-android-tablet-in-the-us.ars

Dell...meh.

Henry Flower
December 6th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I know, this is an old thread, but still...

I have long said that Dell can't be trusted. I am wondering if there will soon be headlines about Dell dropping Ubuntu products in China in order to promote Windows instead. Sort of like this:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/12/dell-kills-off-its-last-android-tablet-in-the-us.ars

Dell...meh.

COMPANY STOPS SELLING UNPOPULAR PRODUCTS SHOCK

Full story on page 2.

:popcorn:

Lucradia
December 6th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Well, good news I guess. However, Goodwill stores of America will sell all computers without Windows that they get donated. They check if the computer is bootable, then they freshly install Ubuntu, if it works (they run through the newest version first.) As for Savers stores (another donation-based second-hand store)... they keep whatever operating system is installed, no matter if they can login or not. They DO however boot it once and check the BIOS, and the OS version at least.

But, doesn't Dell still ship / sell Ubuntu computers in America?

Nope, they don't, at all. ubuntu's website hasn't been updated to reflect that though: http://www.ubuntu.com/dell#usa

Clicking the link under USA shows a dell page with no products.