PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] After upgrade to Oneiric, Nautilus manages desktop

Ale1ster
October 27th, 2011, 06:39 PM
1. After the upgrade to 11.10 (in Xubuntu), whenever I open Nautilus, it starts managing the desktop. I don't want it to act as a desktop manager.
The thing is that when i want to open something with Nautilus I don't want always to specify --no-desktop.
I have seen a solution saying to edit the preferences' 'show_desktop' value in apps/nautilus/preferences to false, but when I try to navigate there with gconf-editor, there is no such variable. Same with 'gconftool -t bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop -s false'.
The variables that exist can be seen in the screenshot.

2. Nautilus is starting during system startup, but is nowhere to be found at Settings>Settings Manager>Session and Startup>Application Autostart.
How can that be?

The only thing I want is to use xfce default desktop manager and not Nautilus.
Can anyone help?

Edit: Also, this might not be of any significance, but whenever I try to start docky (after the upgrade), I get
the following message:
"
[Info 20:47:05.489] Docky version: 2.2.0 bzr docky r1817 ppa
[Info 20:47:05.503] Kernel version: 3.0.0.12
[Info 20:47:05.503] CLR version: 2.0.50727.1433
Missing method System.Type::op_Inequality(Type,Type) in assembly /usr/lib/mono/2.0/mscorlib.dll, referenced in assembly /usr/lib/mono/gac/glib-sharp/2.12.0.0__35e10195dab3c99f/glib-sharp.dll

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for GLib.GType ---> System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.Type.op_Inequality'.
at GLib.GType..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Docky.Docky.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for GLib.GType ---> System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.Type.op_Inequality'.
at GLib.GType..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Docky.Docky.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
"
Might that mean that some gnome libraries got renamed or deleted?

crdlb
October 28th, 2011, 03:27 AM
1) You can disable the show-desktop-icons option in dconf-editor at org.gnome.desktop.background.

2) My guess is that the cause of this is the GNOME Compatibility option. It unconditionally runs autostart apps that contain OnlyShowIn=GNOME. With the show-desktop-icons option disabled, /etc/xdg/autostart/nautilus-autostart.desktop file will continue to start nautilus (which will exit because there's nothing for it to do).

I have no idea about the docky error, but it looks contained to mono to me.

Ale1ster
October 28th, 2011, 09:05 AM
show-desktop-icons option was already disabled.
Nevertheless, by modifying /etc/xdg/autostart/nautilus-autostart.desktop file to

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Files
Exec=nautilus --no-desktop -n
AutostartCondition=GSettings org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons
NoDisplay=true
OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity;
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=nautilus

it doesn't take over the desktop anymore.
Thank you.

foresto
November 23rd, 2011, 12:33 AM
I was having the same problem.

1) You can disable the show-desktop-icons option in dconf-editor at org.gnome.desktop.background.

After installing dconf-tools, I found that show-desktop-icons was unchecked. I checked it and unchecked it again just to be sure, and took the extra precaution of unchecking the draw-background option. After closing dconf-editor and rebooting, Nautilus no longer took over my desktop.

2) My guess is that the cause of this is the GNOME Compatibility option. It unconditionally runs autostart apps that contain OnlyShowIn=GNOME. With the show-desktop-icons option disabled, /etc/xdg/autostart/nautilus-autostart.desktop file will continue to start nautilus (which will exit because there's nothing for it to do).

Here are two related bug reports:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-session/+bug/872515
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-session/+bug/893811

Thanks so much for the workarounds!