PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] xubuntu Desktop questions

huguesm
October 27th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Hi,

I recently switched from ubuntu to xubuntu 11.10, and I have a few trivial questions regarding the Desktop.

1 - Is it possible to move several folder at the same time on the Desktop? I can select several folders with the mouse, but when I try to move them, only one folder is moving.

2 - Is it possible to paste files or folders on the Desktop? I can use the file manager to do so, but I would like to simply click on the Desktop and paste the folders directly.

Can these things be done, or are they limitations of XFCE?

Thanks.

gsmanners
October 27th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Those sound like limitations in Thunar. I can't recall any way to do those things offhand.

Gawains Green Knight
October 27th, 2011, 06:47 PM
How are you finding xubuntu? I used to love it but lately its been as slow as ubuntu so I've switched to using lubuntu on old computers.... haven't tried it recently though.

huguesm
October 27th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Those sound like limitations in Thunar. I can't recall any way to do those things offhand.

That's too bad, since I work from the Desktop a lot.

How are you finding xubuntu? I used to love it but lately its been as slow as ubuntu so I've switched to using lubuntu on old computers.... haven't tried it recently though.

So far, I love it, and I expect to stick with it for the long haul. The reason I switched is that I was completely lost in Gnome 3 and felt that getting regular work done was too challenging.

I tried to add some eye-candy to xubuntu, but I had a few problems when I installed compiz. I therefore decided live without it.

Thanks for the answers.

scania_gti
October 27th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I try in thunar mark two folders with mouse the drag onto desktop - and, guess?
Copy two folders onto desktop. But when dragging swoh only one folder miniature. Everything work like expected.

ankspo71
October 28th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Hi, It's the same for me in Xubuntu 11.10.

1. I can move multiple folders onto the desktop from another folder just fine...
but if I try to drag two folders from one side of my desktop to the other side of my desktop, only one folder moves to the other side of my desktop.

2. The ability to paste files and folders on my desktop looks disabled (permanently greyed out), so I can't paste anything on my desktop. Ctrl+v doesn't work on the desktop either. The files and folders are always present in my clipboard manager too, so it's not that they aren't being copied. Pasting files into an open Thunar window always works well for me though.

kholis
December 1st, 2011, 07:51 AM
Hi, It's the same for me in Xubuntu 11.10.

1. I can move multiple folders onto the desktop from another folder just fine...
but if I try to drag two folders from one side of my desktop to the other side of my desktop, only one folder moves to the other side of my desktop.

2. The ability to paste files and folders on my desktop looks disabled (permanently greyed out), so I can't paste anything on my desktop. Ctrl+v doesn't work on the desktop either. The files and folders are always present in my clipboard manager too, so it's not that they aren't being copied. Pasting files into an open Thunar window always works well for me though.

2. But you can Drag n Drop files/folders from thunar to Desktop :)

Hawkeye52
December 1st, 2011, 09:02 AM
Hi,

I recently switched from ubuntu to xubuntu 11.10, and I have a few trivial questions regarding the Desktop.

1 - Is it possible to move several folder at the same time on the Desktop? I can select several folders with the mouse, but when I try to move them, only one folder is moving.

2 - Is it possible to paste files or folders on the Desktop? I can use the file manager to do so, but I would like to simply click on the Desktop and paste the folders directly.

Can these things be done, or are they limitations of XFCE?

Thanks.
I don't believe it is a limitation of xubuntu, but in the way the default file manager (Thunar) works. To accomplish what you want to do, take a look at adding another file manager, xfe. This file manager is very flexible, is extremely quick, and has some really good features. It can move files and folders around quite easily. Another feature I particularly like is the 'permissions' facility; it has a gui window allows a lot of flexibility. Here's what it looks like:

Xfe is not a be all and end all, but it has been very useful to me. It can do what you want, and a whole bunch more. It is not the prettiest file manager, and it doesn't accept the theme of your desktop, but it does perform quickly and consistently.

I hope this helps...

Hawkeye52

[Neurotic]
December 1st, 2011, 09:05 AM
No reason you also couldn't install Nautilus and let that take over your desktop.

That's what I've done ;) and I love it.