PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please tell me how to make this message go away!

SupaRice
October 27th, 2011, 04:06 PM
How in the world do I make this damn message stop popping up every time I switch workspaces!!!?!?!?!?

OMG I'm about to loose my mind with this.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/suparice/anoying.png

Cope57
October 27th, 2011, 04:54 PM
It is normal for the message to appear for the applications that you have running. It is so the application could be dragged to another desktop/workspace if one desires.

If one has a different application running, it would also be mentioned in the message.

To remove the messages, move cursor off the workspaces windows, and use your keyboard to switch between desktops/workspaces. Ctrl+Alt+Left arrow and Ctrl+Alt+Right arrow should work with no modifications.

SupaRice
October 27th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I know, I just want to disable the message completely.

Enigmapond
October 27th, 2011, 05:21 PM
It is normal for the message to appear for the applications that you have running. It is so the application could be dragged to another desktop/workspace if one desires.

If one has a different application running, it would also be mentioned in the message.

To remove the messages, move cursor off the workspaces windows, and use your keyboard to switch between desktops/workspaces. Ctrl+Alt+Left arrow and Ctrl+Alt+Right arrow should work with no modifications.

+1 Yea just remove the switcher from the panel and use the above method to change workspaces. It's more efficient anyway. You can also set the mousewheel to switch, as well.

SupaRice
October 27th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I don't want to modify my work habits though, I want to modify my machine to fit my work habits... =) How do I make it stop displaying those messages permanently?

SupaRice
October 28th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Nobody?

SupaRice
November 14th, 2011, 04:11 PM
No way to disable the messages?

Frogs Hair
November 14th, 2011, 06:36 PM
If you are using a pre 11.10 release right click the panel , select add to panel and and disable window list from the menu .

SupaRice
December 1st, 2011, 08:54 PM
I want the window list though, I just don't want the stupid message.

Frogs Hair
December 2nd, 2011, 01:40 AM
See this post .http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=285770

jefelex
December 2nd, 2011, 01:56 AM
See this post .http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=285770

it's funny, I've been using Ubu for years, and never noticed this before!! But you are right - there are little tool tips displayed (Am I ever observant!) :-) I'll try this out! I don't actually mind the tool tips - never noticed them before \\:D/

jefelex
December 2nd, 2011, 02:09 AM
Yep - works as advertized!

Frogs Hair
December 2nd, 2011, 04:05 AM
I first thought you meant the widow list , and I looked at the message and it was yellow , AH HA ! tool tip .
I found that post on the first click of my search .

SupaRice
January 4th, 2012, 08:10 PM
YAY!!!!! :)

Thanks! I probably could've google'd that if I had known what the dang message was called. :/

SupaRice
January 11th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Recorded here as well just in case:

create a file in your home directory named ".gtkrc-2.0" (without quotes) and add the following line to it: gtk-enable-tooltips = 0