PDA

View Full Version : Major Finnish Network operator stands up for consumers (against the media lobby)!

blueturtl
October 27th, 2011, 07:50 AM
For once I can report good news! The original news source is in Finnish, so I'm paraphrasing here a little bit:

Elisa (one of the bigger two Finnish operators!) appeals over court ruling to prevent access to Pirate Bay.

Elisa fought the case on the grounds that putting any technical restrictions would not be feasible and would incur huge costs. At the same time professionals say any restrictions deployed by the operator would be easily circumvented by those wanting to do so, while causing potential adverse effects to other sites caught in "crossfire".

Elisa: more legal content required

Elisa states it is against piracy, but does not believe in this remedy.

"The actors [media companies] should focus on actions that would have a real effect on piracy, namely the production of high quality legal networked distribution of their content at reasonable prices and timelines. In addition all operators must be treated equally instead of promoting one to the role of authority on the internet." says Henri Korpi from Elisa.

Source (http://www.tietokone.fi/uutiset/elisa_valittaa_pirate_bay_estosta_hovioikeuteen) (in Finnish)

I'm not actually a Pirate Bay user, but this makes me a very happy customer. Not only are they standing up to the media lobby but they've actually got the right idea! <3 Elisa

Alisya
October 28th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Full credit and respect to them for having the balls to do this. Way to go!