PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a new computer

7cardcha
October 27th, 2011, 06:37 AM
I have a $500-$600 budget for a desktop. I don't want to spend any more than $600 and I want a good deal. I want to play a few games but nothing to intense(Deus Ex: HR Etc stuff like that). I also want ~500gb hard drive if possible. I know nothing about hardware please help me choose.

mips
October 27th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Where are you located? Pointless us recommending something from Newegg etc when you live in Uzbekistan.

Are you willing to build it yourself (not hard) and worth it? Or maybe have a friend that knows and can help you.

vicshrike
October 27th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Google will help you to sites where you can compare prices, there are several.

7cardcha
October 27th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I don't want to build it and I am in the USA. Also again clueless about what good prices are

Dragonbite
October 27th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Why not look through System76 (http://www.system76.com)'s website and see what kind of hardware they offer at different prices.

You could really use any manufacturer's website, but I know the System76 has a smaller collection to compare and is pretty easy to go through the site without being overwhelmed.

Their prices may be slightly higher than some other vendors but not all that much.

Gawains Green Knight
October 27th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I got a nice quad core acer desktop from walmart a couple of months ago for $400. Very reasonable.... if you don't mind giving your dollars to a soulless blood-stained corporation.

mikaelcrocker
October 27th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I would highly recommend going to tomshardware.com. They have a range of builds with benchmarks that keeps gaming in mind. Granted the least expensive they do is in the $500 range, but that suits your range.

Also, if you're looking for a laptop, on this same site, they have Deals for <insert date> and they have laptops that range from 500 to 600 dollars.

Happy Hunting!!

BillyBoa
October 27th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Don't even try to buy the HP Touch Smart tm2. Its ubuntu unfriendly.
I spent two months configuring the problems and finally I gave up and re installed Win7.

Linuxratty
October 28th, 2011, 03:59 PM
You can try these as well:

http://www.linpc.us/

http://zareason.com/shop/home.php

LowSky
October 28th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I don't want to build it and I am in the USA. Also again clueless about what good prices are

Shop around, and make sure the parts are up to date and not last years hand me downs. don't ask us, for example a few people here have recommended companies that sell Linux computers. That's great but they are expensive compared to the windows PCs. Why are the expensive, because the companies can't sell as many and they can't buy in so much bulk so prices are higher.

Dude get a Dell, HP, Lenovo, or a eMachine if it is affordable. Check out a Best Buy, ask for some help, then look for a machine online to see if it's cheaper. then buy.

mips
October 28th, 2011, 04:28 PM
...for example a few people here have recommended companies that sell Linux computers. That's great but they are expensive compared to the windows PCs.

I had a look at that System76 link posted earlier and was like :shock: at the prices. You can do much better elsewhere with your money as you said.