PDA

View Full Version : Adobe drops Linux for Air

HDave
October 27th, 2011, 06:00 AM
I guess I've been too busy programming Flex on Ubuntu for the past 5 months to have noticed:

http://blogs.adobe.com/open/2011/06/focusing-on-the-next-linux-client.html

Adobe's treatment of the Linux platform is atrocious so I guess I can't say I am shocked, but dropping Linux support for a "cross-platform" application platform is not smart in a world with 12+ million Ubuntu users.

In retaliation, I've signed up for the YouTube HTML5 beta and have to say the experience of watching video in Firefox without Flash is 100% awesome.

In further retaliation, I'll be pushing my company to move from Flash/Flex to HTML5/Javascript (or GWT) as a platform for our rich internet application.

If it weren't for Adobe Lightroom I'd love to say goodbye forever. I am a paying customer of Bibble, but its not yet up to the same level.

Paqman
October 27th, 2011, 07:13 AM
They're still flogging the dead Air horse then?

SavageWolf
October 27th, 2011, 07:25 AM
This is the final straw! I quit using Flex! Gasp! Shock!

Anyway, I have to put up a lot with it, ints are faster than uints, the compiler can't compile XML files (but tries), and so on...

I should do some speed tests between Flash and Webkit...

BrokenKingpin
October 27th, 2011, 05:53 PM
The quicker we move away from Adobe's crap software the better. I really hope HTML5 puts an end to flash.

johnnybgoode83
October 27th, 2011, 06:14 PM
This was the biggest non event in the history of technology for me as the first time I had heard of Adobe Air was when they dropped Linux support.

ubupirate
October 27th, 2011, 07:26 PM
What's Adobe Air?

Lucradia
October 28th, 2011, 02:50 PM
The quicker we move away from Adobe's crap software the better. I really hope HTML5 puts an end to flash.

HTML5 is not quite a drop-in replacement for flash.

Yes, it can do everything flash does, save for MySQL and PHP Queries. Among a few other things.

What's Adobe Air?

I know, right? I have never used anything that required Air. Or silverlight save for on microsoft.com.

LowSky
October 28th, 2011, 03:24 PM
What's Adobe Air?

sorta like java.

at least they are still making an android version, lol.

SharkMonster
October 28th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Adobe's treatment of the Linux platform is atrocious so I guess I can't say I am shocked, but dropping Linux support for a "cross-platform" application platform is not smart in a world with 12+ million Ubuntu users.

I think the key point is
since the release of AIR, we’ve seen only a 0.5% download share for desktop Linux

Adobe have finite resources, supporting (Desktop) Linux just isn't viable for them considering there are
already a 100 million Android devices and growing.

SavageWolf
October 28th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Reminds me of that guy that was saying that Linux will fall due to the increase in Android smartphones...

ANDROID IS LINUX, PEOPLE!

rg4w
October 28th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Personally I'm quite happy to return the favor. ;)

VeeDubb
October 28th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Personally I'm quite happy to return the favor. ;)

+1

Adobe hasn't created a single piece of software since Photoshop 7 that I was interested in.

Flash - An unfortunate requirement for web browsing that is gradually being replaced html5 and other technologies.

Photoshop CS - The spawn of a once great program that has become a bloated monstrosity.

Lightroom - A great concept that was a bloated monstrosity from day one, and still somehow lacking in functionality found in many of its competitors.

Air - An obscure development platform that nobody uses outside of cheesey games on smartphones.

Acrobat and Acrobat Reader - Hasn't had a meaningful update in many years. It looks a little prettier these days, but does essentially the same thing it has always done. Several FOSS projects are able to provide 90% or more of it's functionality.

The reality, in my opinion, is that Adobe is rapidly becoming irrelevant.

speedwell68
October 28th, 2011, 11:38 PM
The only things I have run with Adobe Air are Tweetdeck which I replaced with Twittergadget on my iGoogle homepage and the BBC iPlayer App, which I replaced with get-iplayer/giplayer. Air is bloaty in the extreme, it is no loss IMHO.