PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] reinstalled ubuntu, now having server trouble

stunet
October 27th, 2011, 01:30 AM
hi,

I upgraded my ubuntu to 11.10 and found it was not what i hoped it would be so, so i went to 10.04 LTS

thats all fine, but my issue is my web server setup, which even though i renamed the computer, i can still access my server by the old computer name. This has seemed to caused some issue with a few pages on my server as they now are not working correctly(possibly a cache issue somewhere.

my question is, is there a way to clear the DNS cache? i know how to do it in windows, but never has to do it for linux.

collisionystm
October 27th, 2011, 01:38 AM
hi,

I upgraded my ubuntu to 11.10 and found it was not what i hoped it would be so, so i went to 10.04 LTS

thats all fine, but my issue is my web server setup, which even though i renamed the computer, i can still access my server by the old computer name. This has seemed to caused some issue with a few pages on my server as they now are not working correctly(possibly a cache issue somewhere.

my question is, is there a way to clear the DNS cache? i know how to do it in windows, but never has to do it for linux.

Just to clarify things... The Ubuntu 10.04 you just installed is your Web Server? Or another box is

stunet
October 27th, 2011, 01:44 AM
yes the 10.04 is my web server

collisionystm
October 27th, 2011, 01:47 AM
yes the 10.04 is my web server

Okay.

So you just copied your /var/www directory back to the 10.04 and re-installed LAMP?

What kind of router do you have? Is that at your house?

stunet
October 27th, 2011, 01:49 AM
i backed up everything and reinstalled fresh. though i dont use the default directory, i just use the home directory, seeing as its just a dev server and all.

the setup is at my house, i just have a regular AT&T router, nothing fancy.

collisionystm
October 27th, 2011, 01:51 AM
if you can still access the server by its old name, ( I assume in a web page? ) There is some kind of DNS record somewhere pointing to it.

Check inside your AT&T router.

stunet
October 27th, 2011, 01:53 AM
I'll do that, I figure its something like that.

thanks for your help.

collisionystm
October 27th, 2011, 01:56 AM
I'll do that, I figure its something like that.

thanks for your help.

Yup... no problem. When you figure out what it is, just mark this thread solved!