PDA

View Full Version : Isn't Linux the embodiment of the Occupy Wall Street crowd?

chkneater
October 27th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I totally switched to Ubuntu back when Gutsy Gibon 8.04 came out and haven't used WinBlows or any commercial system with the exception of using a friends computer or something. It hasn't been completely easy at some points, but as this OS gets better, I don't understand why people aren't using the Occupy Wall Street phenomenon to show how OpenSource can compete with 300$ bloated OS's that always need service packs and are prone to virii.

I think that anyone that REALLY believes in the Occupy Wall Street concept should publicly burn their Iphones and Droids, akin to public book burnings of Mein Keimpf. I also say at the same time, Ubuntu and other Linux distros should be given away so people can take them home and wipe their Window for the last time!!

I don't know how to coordinate the logistics of this, but as I sit here in my room I realized some things. My tower that is running Ubuntu, was given to me because it didn't work anymore. I installed Ubuntu and it has worked wonderfully since. My monitor was given to me because it was broke, due to overheating. I replaced a capacitor and I have a nice almost new monitor. The instruments I own are made by Gibson or Washburn, non-Wall Street companies. The others are Japs and Chinese made. My point I am trying to get to is that I realized that of all the things I own that are important to me are not from Wall St.

For most ppl. the important things are food, electricity, shelter, and more and more, computers. What these things ALL have in common is they are ruled by Wall Street. Well if that's where Wall Street is vulnerable, we need to start hitting them there, and OpenSource apps like OpenOffice and Ubuntu and the other Lunux distros do that by under cutting their oil-Barron like grasp on our daily lives!

Wipe your drives if Wall Street you despise!!

sffvba[e0rt
October 27th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Under Review.

chkneater
October 27th, 2011, 01:08 AM
I totally switched to Ubuntu back when Gutsy Gibon 8.04 came out and haven't used WinBlows or any commercial system with the exception of using a friends computer or something. It hasn't been completely easy at some points, but as this OS gets better, I don't understand why people aren't using the Occupy Wall Street phenomenon to show how OpenSource can compete with 300$ bloated OS's that always need service packs and are prone to virii.

I think that anyone that REALLY believes in the Occupy Wall Street concept should publicly burn their Iphones and Droids, akin to public book burnings of Mein Keimpf. I also say at the same time, Ubuntu and other Linux distros should be given away so people can take them home and wipe their Window for the last time!!

I don't know how to coordinate the logistics of this, but as I sit here in my room I realized some things. My tower that is running Ubuntu, was given to me because it didn't work anymore. I installed Ubuntu and it has worked wonderfully since. My monitor was given to me because it was broke, due to overheating. I replaced a capacitor and I have a nice almost new monitor. The instruments I own are made by Gibson or Washburn, non-Wall Street companies. The others are Japs and Chinese made. My point I am trying to get to is that I realized that of all the things I own that are important to me, most are not from Wall St. corporations.

For most ppl. the important things are food, electricity, shelter, and more and more, computers. What these things ALL have in common is they are ruled by Wall Street. Well if that's where Wall Street is vulnerable, we need to start hitting them there, and OpenSource apps like OpenOffice and Ubuntu and the other Lunux distros do that by under cutting their oil-Barron like grasp on our daily lives!

Wipe your drives if Wall Street you despise!!

earthpigg
October 27th, 2011, 01:13 AM
I saw that this thread was 'under review', and am surprised it was allowed to survive.

I interviewed five of those folks (http://ctmason.wordpress.com/2011/10/15/occupy-marin-in-their-own-words/) two weeks ago, and while I certainly can't speak for the movement as a whole I can say that local to me I don't believe IT concerns are really all that important to large numbers of folks participating in the movement.

Ric_NYC
October 27th, 2011, 01:13 AM
3... 2... 1...

sffvba[e0rt
October 27th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Threads Merged.

sffvba[e0rt
October 27th, 2011, 02:22 AM
From the CoC:

Politics and Religion: These two topics have caused serious problems in the past and are now forbidden topics in the forums. Please find another venue to exercise your freedom of speech on these topics.

Thread closed.