PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble installing 11.10

Acharial
October 26th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Hello!

Been trying to install Ubunti 11.10 on my Windows 7 machine the entire day and dual boot along side with Windows but it's not working. I've tried to burn out the ISO four times incase I did anything wrong but It's still not working.

When I restart the computer with the CD I get the screen when I have to hit any button to get the meny for Ubuntu up. When I press "Install ubuntu" the screen flickers once and then I get the Ubuntu "loading" screen up and there it stays for an entirnity.

I've no clue of how to fix this... When I finally want to learn Ubuntu and evetually change to it It's not working! MY luck.

Problem is, I don't get any error messages it just freezes so I have nothing to really go on... :(

Any help is appriciated, I'm entirely new to the Linux system.

My machine:

Asus P6 V2
Toxic HD Radeon 5970 4gb
overlocked i7 920 @4.0ghz
12gb DDR3 RAM 1600mhz

jnorthr
October 26th, 2011, 11:08 PM
in my experience, burning CD's can be a problem as many burners will create a CD using a fast burn speed that looses bits during the burn. It all runs ok, and looks ok and appears to start up ok but turns to jelly after a few minutes. If you can possibly re-download your preferred flavor of ubuntu, then i always run an MD5 checksum and compare this to the published value on the download page. The MD5 checksum is a small program that counts the bits within your downloaded file and tells you what the check sum value is. You can then compare that value to the published value and if they are the same, then no bits have been lost during the download and you can proceed to burn a new CD at the SLOWEST possible setting your burner has. Faster burn speeds loose bits too which is BAD ](*,)

Alternatively, go buy a PC magazine with a free live CD on the cover (probably one with ubuntu) and use that to do your initial install. Once installed, you can always upgrade to the latest flavor.

Acharial
October 27th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I did try burning it down with 1x speed and checked the files. Everything seems fine.

I also tried installing through the alternate version but it get stuck at 14% when It's loading in files.

Acharial
October 27th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Ok. The problem seems to be that I have overclocked my CPU. I rested the overclock and it worked. Problem is. As soon as I overclock I cannot enter Ubuntu. This is quite annoying. Is there any way to fix this?

proxy.qtz
October 27th, 2011, 08:51 PM
What are you using to overclock, what type of processor is it, and why do you need to overclock?

Acharial
October 27th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I'm using intel 920 i7. I use the BIOS to overclock.

The reason I overclock is mostly for gaming on the Windows 7 part.

Actually strongly considering to remove ubuntu all together from my desktop PC and install in on my alienware MX11 instead. Not using it for gaming anyway.

proxy.qtz
October 31st, 2011, 01:48 PM
Well, That's your decision to make.