PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] seeing background image but no interface

willnight
October 26th, 2011, 10:25 PM
hi, folks. i posted this in the apple section, but thought perhaps also here may gain a wider audience knowledge -- perhaps someone has/had this issue and/or knows how to fix:

i have tri-boot on macbook pro (2007) with connected cinema display, and had a working up-to-date natty build.

i upgraded to oneiric just a couple of days ago. after reboot and login, it showed the ubuntu background. i waited a bit for the interface to come up. nothing. waited more. still nothing. so i had just a blank background image (on both screens) as my desktop and no interface whatsoever. rebooted several time. same.

i thought it was a problem with oneiric(?), being a new upgrade, so i took the pains to reinstall the last stable and working version, which was the aforementioned natty. after installation and updates (not upgrade), i got the blank desktop again, now in natty too, as described above? i worked before...?

cinema display/nvidia issue? x-server issue? what am i missing? any idea?

thx

addendum:

this problem does not happen if the nvidia driver (any version) is *not* installed through the "install driver" icon at top when first logged in (or after first installation). the default driver in oneiric (whatever it is works fine. use the "screen (or monitor - can't remember)" in control panel to activate extra display.

works for me with apple cinema display.