PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Remove first and last line of output with sed (maybe a better way)

cj13579
October 26th, 2011, 07:36 PM
HI all,

I'm getting really frustrated with this so I was wondering whether someone can help me out? I am am trying to remove the first and last line of the following output:

ID Done Have ETA Up Down Ratio Status Name
3 1% 10.1 MB Unknown 0.0 0.0 0.57 Stopped Horrible Bosses {2011} DVDRIP. Jaybob
Sum: 10.1 MB 0.0 0.0

The output is from transmission-remote. I am trying to dump this all into a variable in a script and it isn't going particularly well. I am trying to use sed but cannot get the command to work. This is what I have so far:

TORRENTLIST=$(transmission-remote --auth user:password --list | sed -e '1d;$d;s/^ *//' | cut –only-delimited –delimiter= ” ” –fields=1)

This is supposed to be dynamic so there could be 1 or 100 things in this list. The next step of my script feeds into a loop doing different stuff basded on their status and Completeness (if you wanted to know - lol).

My failing is that I copied this sed command from somewhere and I can't remember where. I have googled my life away trying to understand sed but I'm just there yet.

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Thanks

Chris

Vaphell
October 26th, 2011, 07:53 PM
it does exactly what you want
1d deletes 1st line, $d deletes the last line, s/^ *// removes spaces at the beginning (^) of each line (substitutes any sequence of spaces with nothing).

test:

$ echo $'ID whatever\n stuff\n more stuff\nSum: 666'
ID whatever
stuff
more stuff
Sum: 666

$ echo $'ID whatever\n stuff\n more stuff\nSum: 666' | sed '1d; $d; s/^ *//'
stuff
more stuff

cj13579
October 27th, 2011, 09:53 AM
it does exactly what you want

You are completely right. I found what it was by sticking -x on my script but it was staring me in the face. Where I had copied it from the website it had copied in a load of additional random characters, changed some characters - all sorts of stuff was going on.

Many thanks for your quick response and help!