PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] BTRFS performance as a <root> partition is too slow

nicolasdiogo
October 26th, 2011, 12:06 PM
hello,

i have installed ubuntu with BTRFS on my root partition as have found it to be so slow. that i would like to find out if other have found the same.

in my case, any system upgrade has to be measured in 'ice ages' as they take so lonnnnng.

i have also found that it is possible to enable compression using btrfs *BUT* it seems that GRUB will not be able to read from the <root> partition if that is enabled!!

thus i will have to create a <boot> partition with ext3/4 to be able to improve performance using compression.

would it not be a *bug* with the installer to allow btrfs in <root> partition without having a <boot> partition ?

please post your comments and share your experience with BTRFS filesystem.

thanks,

Nicolas

prmcafee
October 26th, 2011, 02:29 PM
This is probably not the answer you're looking for, but it's the only one I have. BTRFS is still buggy. I tried it once with installing 11.10 when 11.10 was in beta and I had all sorts of issues, one being that GRUB couldn't find a system image, and that it was horrifically slow booting. The solution I have is to reinstall Ubuntu using EXT4 or something other than BTRFS, until they iron out all of the kinks. EXT4 works for me the best. It's fast and stable.

nicolasdiogo
October 27th, 2011, 07:25 AM
thanks

i have considered to reinstall ubuntu.
but i though maibe i should give it a go and try improving things first.

maybe there is someone else who can offer an alternative to reinstall?