PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.10 Alternate software RAID installation problem

acolite
October 26th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I have fought two evenings with my Ubuntu installation onto two fresh 2.0TB WD Green HDDs in a software RAID configuration.

First installation attempt using 11.10 Alternate ended in a fatal error when the bootloader failed to install. Any further attempts didn't get me even that far. After reading that other people have had problems with 11.10 Alt and software RAIDs I tried 11.04 Alt and tried deleting the existing RAID drives that I'd created when trying the 11.10 install. Now the partitioner doesn't allow me to delete the created swap area RAID device nor partitions, clamining that they are in use. Installation of 11.04 fails before it reaches the grub installation phase, throwing an error when it cannot mount the swap drive that I cannot delete.

Booting to Live Ubuntu and trying to manually delete the partitions using the Disk Utility resulted in an error. Disk Utility did say something about the partition being out of boundaries (unfortunately cannot check the actual error message) and strongly suggest repartitioning (which I cannot do due to errors) Gparted doesn't see the partitions. Trying to dd the partition resulted in IO error. Trying to install mdadm when running Live Ubuntu results in an error.

I'm at my wit's end. I've installed earlier Ubuntus on software RAID numerous times on different machines without any problems at all. I could sure use some assistance right about now. Is there any way to brute force delete the partitions and arrays?

The system I'm trying to install Ubuntu on is a Zotac IONitx mobo with the Nvidia ION MCP79 chipset and two 2.0TB WD Green SATAIII HDDs. Prior to upgrading to the new HDDs the system ran on 10.04 which was upgraded from a 9.10 install. The software RAID worked fine.