PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help!! I screwed up compiz!

Risingfate
October 26th, 2011, 05:02 AM
I have no idea what happened. But i was editing some settings in compiz and my computer froze completely and wouldn't let me click anything. I had to restart the computer manually. and when i logged back in my desktop looked like the picture below! No unity! No compiz! No way to even summon a terminal!

So I rebooted and logged in under ubuntu2d and everything worked fine. So i'm assuming it has something to do with the compiz/unity interface. But I have no idea where to look since i'm a huge noob :(

I tried resetting unity and compiz with "unity --reset" and another command. But that just hung and froze too :(

I have all of my files backed up on ubuntu one so it isn't a huge deal if i have to reinstall but I don't really want to make a new install disk for 11.10 (Since that's what I just upgraded to). I was considering just using unity2d or gnome shell anyway. So it isn't too terribly inconvenient but I thought it would be helpful to fix the problem and not just ignore it. Thanks!

Any help would be amazing!

remotusesse
October 26th, 2011, 05:10 AM
I tried to use Cube desktop through Compiz and it screwed things up for me. I also could only use Ubuntu 2D. I logged into U2D and did the following

$ sudo apt-get remove --purge compiz*
$ rm -rf .compiz-1
$ rm -rf .gconf/apps/compiz*
$ sudo apt-get install compiz compiz-core
$ sudo apt-get install unity

Things are working for me again, hope this helps.

Risingfate
October 26th, 2011, 05:29 AM
I tried that and no luck :( I still get the same thing! Thanks for the quick reply though!

Anyone else?

Copper Bezel
October 26th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Purging Compiz won't remove the settings that it stores in gconf (similar to Windows' "registry".) Run these instead from your Unity 2D session, then try logging into the normal one.

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compizconfig-1
rm ~/.compiz-1/session/*
rm ~/.config/compiz-1/compizconfig/config

This is from Tux Garage, which has a troubleshooting guide (http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/04/missing-top-and-side-panels-in-unity.html) for some other possible problems, but I think this is the one you have.

typhoon_tip
October 26th, 2011, 06:10 AM
No need to be so drastic with re-install everything ! If you are able to manage somehow to open ccsm (terminal command: ccsm) in your 3D Unity environment again, simply enable the Unity plugin back, it was surely switched off accidentally.

EDIT: the above reset of Compiz first might help !

Risingfate
October 29th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Somehow i unlicked unity :)

Oops! Thanks so much!