PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot loader problem (dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu)

yliu90
October 25th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10, and in the process, it seemed something with the boot loading was messed up (it went automatically to Ubuntu and never even showed the selection screen that I had set up to let me choose between Windows 7 and Ubuntu).

I installed Grub Customizer in Ubuntu and changed the settings so that I set Windows 7 boot loader as default and then set the time-out to 0. However, this caused the problem that that Windows 7 bootloader comes up (letting me choose between windows 7 and Ubuntu), but when I choose Ubuntu, it just loops back to the Windows 7 bootloader again. In effect, I can not actually go to my Ubuntu installation anymore.

Is there a way to reset the default for Grub2 so that I can access ubuntu? Furthermore, can I get it so that I can choose Ubuntu or Windows 7 on the Windows bootloader (only have the Windows bootloader come up and not the Grub2 boot loading screen?)

Thanks!

critin
October 25th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Install and run this on a live 11.10 CD or flash; (since you can't get to ubuntu) it always worked for me. Boot-Repair

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Oh, and give customizer more time to let you choose. O seconds lets it do the first choice only. Give 5 or 10 seconds--you can click enter without waiting.

<<I installed Grub Customizer in Ubuntu and changed the settings so that I set Windows 7 boot loader as default>>

I suggest letting the customizer, and now Boot-Repair, put boot loader where it wants to. I think this is the problem. I may be wrong.
You can make Windows default in the customizer--it has the option.

aliboy
October 26th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Thanks!