PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] after installing compiz settings manager, panel and top bar are gone

short4lif2
October 25th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I installed compiz settings manager from the software center, and simply by clickin on the preferences button the right, everything is gone. My desktop is just a bare nautilus window, and i got into chrome by ctrl+alt+t ing into a terminal. Any suggestions on getting my settings back to where they were?

I am running a Lenovo Thinkpad r61e without any problems so far on 11.10 (except for a sound problem which i cleared up recently.)

Thanks

mc4man
October 25th, 2011, 09:43 PM
As soon as you clicked on ccsm > Preferences you where switched from the 'unity' profile to the "Default' profile

By default the "Default" profile doesn't have the Unity plugin ebabled, hence no launcher & panel

Your choice is whether to continue to use the "Default" profile or return to the "unity" profile.

To continue using the "Default" profile just log back into the ubuntu session > open a terminal > enter ccsm & enable the Unity plugin

================================================== ================
If you want to go back to the orig/default unity profile there are a couple of ways, easiest is -
login in to the ubuntu session as above, open a terminal and go

nautilus .config/compiz-1/compizconfig
Inside will be a file named config, open it up & delete it;s contents, save.
Then go Ctrl+Alt+Delete & log out & back into the ubuntu session

If you go back into ccsm > Preferences again while in the "unity" profile the whole thing will start over.
(there is a way to add a unity profile into ccsm > Preferences, though not much to be gained

Here's a bug I filed on this bit of a mess, may have explained a better, may not have...
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compizconfig-settings-manager/+bug/880679

short4lif2
October 25th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Worked! thank you, good sir, I appreciate.

sklero
October 25th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I had same problems...
Digging other threads I found this:
Open terminal (CTRL-ALT-T)
Run ccsm
Go to Desktop section (left) and just enable UNITY PLUGIN (in case resolve conflicts)
It was right for me!

swapii
October 26th, 2011, 01:05 AM
As soon as you clicked on ccsm > Preferences you where switched from the 'unity' profile to the "Default' profile

By default the "Default" profile doesn't have the Unity plugin ebabled, hence no launcher & panel

Your choice is whether to continue to use the "Default" profile or return to the "unity" profile.

To continue using the "Default" profile just log back into the ubuntu session > open a terminal > enter ccsm & enable the Unity plugin

================================================== ================
If you want to go back to the orig/default unity profile there are a couple of ways, easiest is -
login in to the ubuntu session as above, open a terminal and go

nautilus .config/compiz-1/compizconfigInside will be a file named config, open it up & delete it;s contents, save.
Then go Ctrl+Alt+Delete & log out & back into the ubuntu session

If you go back into ccsm > Preferences again while in the "unity" profile the whole thing will start over.
(there is a way to add a unity profile into ccsm > Preferences, though not much to be gained

Here's a bug I filed on this bit of a mess, may have explained a better, may not have...
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compizconfig-settings-manager/+bug/880679

Hey thanx it worked....
bt it needed to be used with "alt+ctrl+f1" (console mode)....

if error is given that directory not found then try 'compiz' insted 'compiz-1'...
thanks.......... :)

ershad ali
October 26th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I had a same problem even worth , all of my icons has disappeared but i have done what you say and restarted and bingoooo every thing is ok
thank you so much