PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problem with try/catch block

robotz421
October 25th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I have a problem with a try/catch block. I am using Gcc. When my try block executes I get an error message:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
what(): Segmentation fault
Aborted

My code looks like this:
try
{
}
catch( std::exception& e )
{
}
catch( std::runtime_error& e )
{
// I know this is redundant just threw it in to be sure
}
catch( int x )
{
}
catch( ... )
{
}

Why are my catch blocks not catching this error? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

karlson
October 25th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I have a problem with a try/catch block. I am using Gcc. When my try block executes I get an error message:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
what(): Segmentation fault
Aborted

My code looks like this:
try
{
}
catch( std::exception& e )
{
}
catch( std::runtime_error& e )
{
// I know this is redundant just threw it in to be sure
}
catch( int x )
{
}
catch( ... )
{
}

Why are my catch blocks not catching this error? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What exactly are you doing inside the catch blocks? Do you rethrow the exception?

It seems to me that your are trying to do signal processing in addition to exception handling that's all good but you should not be trying to catch and continue if you have a Segmentation Fault even though you can since it usually means that you have significant problem (usually with memory management) that you need to address..

Npl
October 25th, 2011, 08:29 PM
im not sure how segmentation faults are handled with Linux, but I guess it just sends a signal to the process.
unless gcc does some complicated magic, you wont catch this kind of lowlevel error with C/C++ exceptions.

you`d need to overwrite the default signal handler to catch this error, the prototypes are in signal.h.

karlson
October 25th, 2011, 08:40 PM
im not sure how segmentation faults are handled with Linux, but I guess it just sends a signal to the process.
unless gcc does some complicated magic, you wont catch this kind of lowlevel error with C/C++ exceptions.

you`d need to overwrite the default signal handler to catch this error, the prototypes are in signal.h.

Segmentation Faults on Linux don't throw exceptions. It's a signal sent to the process, which seems to be processed through a custom handler.

robotz421
October 25th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Okay, I guess that is my answer, thank you. Off to read about signal handling.

cgroza
October 25th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Could you show us the exception you are trowing inside the try block?
Also, you should catch runtime_error before std::exception because any class derived from std::exception will be caught by the first catch block, so your second catch block will never get a chance to execute.