PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Gnome 3 Instant Message Indicator

Frogs Hair
October 25th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I would like to remove the instant messenger indicator from the Gnome Shell since I don't use it. I have searched synaptic and the web , but I don't know the package name . Without an IM account enabled the red unavailable indicator appears all the time . If there is another way to disable it that would be great as well . Thanks for your help !

cbowman57
October 25th, 2011, 05:38 PM
There used to be an noim extension but I don't know if there is currently one that works for gnome 3.2

Frogs Hair
October 25th, 2011, 05:44 PM
There used to be an noim extension but I don't know if there is currently one that works for gnome 3.2

I found a tar.gz of that package , but it is not included in my extension PPA . It is also being updated .

cbowman57
October 25th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I'm not certain if it's being updated or not, it seems they made a lot of changes to the panel*.js files in 3.2

If you are willing to live without your user menu you could comment out the userMenu entry in panel.js, around line 36
const STANDARD_STATUS_AREA_SHELL_IMPLEMENTATION = {
'a11y': imports.ui.status.accessibility.ATIndicator,
'volume': imports.ui.status.volume.Indicator,
'battery': imports.ui.status.power.Indicator,
'keyboard': imports.ui.status.keyboard.XKBIndicator,
/* 'userMenu': imports.ui.userMenu.UserMenuButton */but you might miss some of the other functions.

Frogs Hair
October 25th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks , but I can live with the little red X until another solution comes along . I was hoping it was package I could remove without affecting the rest of the applet .

cbowman57
October 25th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I'm certain there is a way to do it but it's beyond my abilities. :)

crdlb
October 25th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Red? With no telepathy accounts, I get an unobtrusive dark gray talk balloon icon with a black X.

What icon theme are you using?

Frogs Hair
October 25th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Red? With no telepathy accounts, I get an unobtrusive dark gray talk balloon icon with a black X.

What icon theme are you using?

Awoken

Frogs Hair
October 25th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Problem solved by switching to Faenza Wolfe icon theme . Thanks crdlb !! :)