PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] need help before installing

carozy
October 25th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I have a Windows XP with no hard drive so last night I bought a 1 terabyte SATA internal hard drive and plugged it in, connected keyboards, etc. and I got an error message (something like "Setup problem or error in disk, replace disk and press any key"). I want to install Ubuntu Studio and no need for Windows. I'd appreciate any suggestions to point me what could be the problem (if there is one) or if I should go ahead and try installing Ubuntu Studio. Not sure if I should try returning the hard drive and need a different one?? or..?? Thanks in advance for any help.

Hakunka-Matata
October 25th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Hi, Welcome to the forums. Please provide more details.
What are you using to boot with? Ubuntu liveCD?, WindowsXP install disk?

If the only HDD is a new 1TB platter disk, then you should be looking at the partitioning of that disk before you install any Operating System to it. A good way to proceed would be to boot an Ubuntu install disk, then use ubuntu's gparted program to partition the disk in preparation for installing the system.

carozy
October 27th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Thank you for your reply.

I am not using anything to boot with. (Did I mention I am not tech savvy?) So that may be the problem. This was a computer from my work that they retired so they gave it to me without the hard drive. So I thought I just had to put in the hard drive and turn it on, which is what I did.

Is it possible to order an Ubuntu Studio install disk and have it shipped to me? Where would I do that? I will have to look around.

Then I will try to follow your directions for partitioning the disk before installing Ubuntu Studio.

Thanks.

carozy
October 27th, 2011, 03:14 AM
I forgot to mention I don't have Ubuntu on there. Just the hard drive from the store.