PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Missing shared library file for equinox lancher

etrainerspy
October 25th, 2011, 03:33 PM
A few days ago, I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10. Now I am having problems with my Eclipse programming application. When I try to run the app, I get the following error message:
"The Eclipse executable launcher was unable to locate its
companion shared library."

I then ran Eclipse at the command line for a more detailed explanation and got this message:
"plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.0. 200.v20090519: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I looked for this file inside the plugins directory and discovered that the file does not exist. I reviewed the eclipse.ini and saw that the file is referenced there:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v2009071 5.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.0. 200.v20090519
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256m
-vmargs
-Xms128m
-Xmx512m
-Dorg.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins.directo ry=/usr/share/eclipse/dropins
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am using Eclipse version 3.7. How can I fix this problem? Do I need change the referenced file to a different name or do I need to somehow download this launcher from the Eclipse website?

Also, I did a command line search (find / -name 'org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.*' 2>/dev/null) for a launcher and found these files:

/usr/lib/eclipse/dropins/sdk/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.source_1.2.0.dist.jar
/usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1. 100.dist

So, I have no idea how I am suppose to fix this. Your help is greatly appreciated.

electronixid
November 7th, 2011, 10:05 PM
The startup and launcher.library should be changed to the following in the ini file and you will be fine :)

-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.2.0.dist.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1. 100.dist

andrewlorien
August 30th, 2012, 03:21 AM
an update to this answer:
i had the same problem upgrading to the next version. the correct filenames for me were:

-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.dist.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1. 200.dist

it's a bit of a trick because the error message in the terminal is "plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1. 100.dist: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory", but just changing that directory name doesn't fix it - the launcher doesn't exit either.

masuch
December 2nd, 2012, 05:53 PM
thanks a lot for this help.