PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Server 9.10 to 11.10

Dimas
October 25th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Hi,

I've an Ubuntu Server 9.10 and I want to upgrade to 11.10. It's a VMWare Virtual Machine, so it's easy to clone and try.

I've cloned it and updated with do-release-upgrade to 10.04, after to 10.10 and after to 11.04. After this last step the machine didn't boot! :( It give a "no such disk" error. I tried starting from a Live CD, mounting the partition and making a grub-install with no luck.

Now I erased this machine and cloned the 9.10 again. I don't want to start the same process again, sure we finally ends with the same error.

Is it possible a direct update to 11.10? I've downloaded the ISO, maybe restarting with that CD it will be possible to upgrade directly? Or maybe a new installation without formatting the partitions so we can maintain our configurations?

Thx

haqking
October 25th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Hi,

I've an Ubuntu Server 9.10 and I want to upgrade to 11.10. It's a VMWare Virtual Machine, so it's easy to clone and try.

I've cloned it and updated with do-release-upgrade to 10.04, after to 10.10 and after to 11.04. After this last step the machine didn't boot! :( It give a "no such disk" error. I tried starting from a Live CD, mounting the partition and making a grub-install with no luck.

Now I erased this machine and cloned the 9.10 again. I don't want to start the same process again, sure we finally ends with the same error.

Is it possible a direct update to 11.10? I've downloaded the ISO, maybe restarting with that CD it will be possible to upgrade directly? Or maybe a new installation without formatting the partitions so we can maintain our configurations?

Thx

You cant do a direct update, but why not do a fresh install ?