PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] 11.10 no touch pad, wireless, or cd

dschmider
October 25th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Hi,
Acer laptop, upgrade totally failed from 10.04, and would no longer boot, so I loaded the live cd which worked perfectly.
I installed back into the original partitions and now ir no longer detects the touch pad, wireless and will not read a cd or the sd card.

I have defended linux for years and solve most issues no problem, but this is like going back 5 years!

Anyone else with the same problems out ideas to fix?
Thanks

dschmider
October 25th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Hi,
Acer pc, enhance absolutely bad from 10.04, and would not footwear, so I packed the live cd which labored properly.
I put in again into the unique surfaces and now ir not picks up the known as, wifi and will not study a cd or the sd card.

I have handled linux system for a long time and remedy most difficulties no problem, but this is like going again 5 years!

Anyone else with the same problems out thoughts to fix?
Thanks

What?!

mastablasta
October 25th, 2011, 12:55 PM
back up all data, make a fresh install by formatting the disk.

dschmider
October 25th, 2011, 01:19 PM
back up all data, make a fresh install by formatting the disk.

Not convinced tbh, I had it format my root position and chose a different user name so that it did not overwrite my home folder.
30 gigs is a bit too much to back up, as I don't have enough space on my windows 7 partition.
What its the reason for it?

mastablasta
October 25th, 2011, 03:09 PM
althoug prices of HD went up due to flodding the space is still cheap these days... :-)

back to your question - the reson for fresh install is that sometimes upgrades go wrong (especially if they are donwloaded), while fresh install shouldn't have this risk.

another issue with upgrade is that before you do it you need to turn off any PPA's, uninstall any porprietary drivers etc. Barebones install is much more likely to upgrade with no issues. however as soon as you have some specifics set things can and probably will go wrong. to go arround this issue oyu do a fresh install (ok that one brings new issues like reinstalling all programmes etc.).

i guess formating root partition (if you have separate home) is same as fresh install

dschmider
October 25th, 2011, 03:23 PM
althoug prices of HD went up due to flodding the space is still cheap these days... :-)

back to your question - the reson for fresh install is that sometimes upgrades go wrong (especially if they are donwloaded), while fresh install shouldn't have this risk.

another issue with upgrade is that before you do it you need to turn off any PPA's, uninstall any porprietary drivers etc. Barebones install is much more likely to upgrade with no issues. however as soon as you have some specifics set things can and probably will go wrong. to go arround this issue oyu do a fresh install (ok that one brings new issues like reinstalling all programmes etc.).

i guess formating root partition (if you have separate home) is same as fresh install
Ok, I'll give out another go later.
Just out of interest, if I use the same name as my original installation will it delete my original home directory or will it just map it?
Thanks for your help

Mark Phelps
October 25th, 2011, 06:50 PM
If /home is on a separate partition, you can choose NOT to reformat it during installation. But, if it shares the partition with root, there's no such choice. It will be overwritten by the reinstall.