PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Configuring Printer in Ubuntu 11.10

nogueira13
October 25th, 2011, 01:51 AM
I am trying to configure a network printer in Ubuntu 11.10. When I go in "System --> System configuration --> Printers" and there I choose "Add a New Printer", I receive a receive a notification message telling me: FirewallID is not being executed.The printers detection requires the mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client services enabled in the firewall. Can you help me to solve this in a step by step way? I don't know how to configure the firewall in order to not receive this message longer. I am running Ubuntu 11.10 64bits in a Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop. Thanks in advance.

giox069
October 26th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I had the same problem, and it happens because I'm not using Unity.
Try to launch system-config-printer manually: (press ALT-F2, type system-config-printer and press enter). It worked for me.

nogueira13
October 27th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Yes, I begin with unit (Ubuntu 2D) and it worked also for me. But now I am having another problem. I am not being able to configure a network printer. I have another laptop (Asus eeepc) as a printer server, but the Dell Laptop that is in my internal network (maskerade IP) is not finding the printer that is at IP 10.0.0.4 my Laptop is at IP 10.0.0.3. I already enabled the printer at 10.0.0.4. I don't know why it is not finding.

wolfen69
October 27th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall. Once you have those things, you need to go to network in Printing, and have it search for it.

sammiev
October 27th, 2011, 04:49 AM
If your trying to use cups at this time then your likely out of luck if your running 11.10 as many people are having troubles at this time. There is a bug report entered at this time but it hasn't been assign to anyone yet. GL :)

nogueira13
October 31st, 2011, 02:51 PM
wolfen69, I would like to know how to enable (step by step, please) mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client in firewall. It should be enabled in IPTABLES?. Please, if you can help me I will be very thanks.

Jamina1
January 27th, 2012, 09:15 PM
I had the same problem, and it happens because I'm not using Unity.
Try to launch system-config-printer manually: (press ALT-F2, type system-config-printer and press enter). It worked for me.

Thank you. This finally got the printer interface I was used to!