PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] checking out Gnome3

leeper69
October 24th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Hi
I just finished loading the Gnome desk top in kubuntu I just had to have a look at it. using kdm I can now choose the kde or gnome desktop without rebooting. gnome3 is different looking with some nice features but a lot of the old gnome features are gone or I haven,t found the way to do them yet it,s only been loaded for a few days. I am having problems getting any cd player to auto load after a music cd is in the drive on both desktops and am trying to get that resolved for now. has anyone else tried gnome3,
or had an issue with music cd,s not auto loading?
one thing I did find on this forum was that if you hold down the alt key while right clicking your mouse in the gnome panel you can get to panel options and can move and modify the panel.

leeper69
November 6th, 2011, 12:29 AM
well I figured out how to auto mount Cd's in Gnome3 classic mode.
First go to applications and click on other in the drop down menu then from the other sub menu pick removable drives and media.
from the applications window check the radio box for mount removable media when inserted then click on the multimedia tab and check the play audio Cd's when inserted radio box. quit and your Gnome3 desktop should now play Cd's when they are inserted.

I have also loaded XFCE desktop and have gotten banshee to load up when a CD is inserted by changing removable drives and media settings on the second tab to /usr/bin/banshee it is interesting that this setting is tied to the KDE desktop and banshee wont load in KDE if I change the setting on the /usr/bin/ to kplayer KDE will show it in notifications and jobs in the tray when a CD is inserted but I cant find the setting to enable auto load in KDE yet.

leeper69
November 15th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Well I just lost the above setup kdm crashed and I couldn't get past the startup screen. so I used gparted to delete the partition and reloaded
kubunu set it up so kaffeine was working to play tv, dvd's, cd's, and mp3 files. cleand up the menu and noticed that there was a radio box in in edit menus that said use only in kde so i edited all the programs I didn't want to load into the gnome menu by checking the radio button. next I downloaded the gnome desktop. after rebooting I now can choose between KDE Gnome, Gnome classic, default, or ubuntu. klick on Gnome classic and enter your password and you can start changing the desktop to your liking using system tools and advanced settings. the first thing I noticed was that the KDE programs were in my gnome menu after entering edit menus I was able to get them out of my gnome menu be removing the check mark next to them. auto loading of cd's with banshee and dvd's work in gnome as well with kaffeine as the default dvd program.
KDE wont auto load anything so far it only lets me choose programs from the pop up window in the panel when a cd or dvd are loaded but it has a lot of choices to make it look cool and is easy to use.
Gnome classic looks a lot like 10.4 after a little tweaking, with fewer choices but things work as far as auto loading disks etc.

leeper69
November 15th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Well I just lost the above setup kdm crashed and I couldn't get past the startup screen. so I used gparted to delete the partition and reloaded
kubunyu set it up so kaffeine was working to play tv, dvd's, cd's, and mp3 files. cleand up the menu and noticed that there was a radio box in in edit menus that said use only in kde so i edited all the programs I didn't want to load into the gnome menu by checking the radio button. next I downloaded the gnome desktop. after rebooting I now can choose between KDE Gnome, Gnome classic, default, or ubuntu. klick on Gnome classic and enter your password and you can start changing the desktop to your liking using system tools and advanced settings. the first thing I noticed was that the KDE programs were in my gnome menu after entering edit menus I was able to get them out of my gnome menu be removing the check mark next to them. auto loading of cd's with banshee and dvd's work in gnome as well with kaffeine as the default dvd program.
KDE wont auto load anything so far it only lets me choose programs from the pop up window in the panel when a cd or dvd are loaded.