PDA

View Full Version : Years old to start playing console?

honeybear
October 24th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Hello,

I would like to know at what age can a child play console? How many years old would/could they have interests, and in practice at which age they have the ability to understand and play ?

Nintendo gave warnings due to past issues.
http://news.discovery.com/tech/nintendo-issues-age-warning-3d-101230.html

Thanks

Majorix
October 24th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I was 9 when I got my first console. I haven't seen it proven anywhere but people say video gaming is bad for younger children.

Tristam Green
October 24th, 2011, 07:12 PM
My six-year-old nephew has been playing consoles since he was four.

He's schooled *me* in some Wii games. He enjoys the PS3 also, and played LEGO Batman all the way through.

If you limit the time young people are on the games per day, there's no issue with them playing at all.

Also, make a family event. Don't just plant the kid in front of the TV and bugger off. That's just...insulting.

johnnybgoode83
October 24th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I would say 10+

Before that kids should be outside in the fresh air building healthy immune systems. When I was a kid I was always outside playing in the dirt and now I don't get sick.

ubupirate
October 24th, 2011, 07:18 PM
but people say video gaming is bad for younger children.

Those very same people are the ones that blame video games for the increasing rate of world crime. :rolleyes:

mmsmc
October 24th, 2011, 07:28 PM
i voted below 2 :D yeah, as soon as the kid is born they slide right out of the room and to the ps3

Lars Noodén
October 24th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I'd be worried about ergonomics - proper posture, repetitive motions, eye strain, etc.

3Miro
October 24th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Some games can be messed up, but overall gaming has to be a million times better than watching Sesame Street. When you have to actively engage in interaction with the game or even solve problems, this is much better than staring in receive and discard mode of the TV.

3Miro
October 24th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I'd be worried about ergonomics - proper posture, repetitive motions, eye strain, etc.

Give me one that isn't an issue when you read a book, yet nobody objects to book reading. Posture and eye strain are things to look for, but they cannot be a reason to prevent kinds from playing games. Just make sure they sit properly and don't spend too many hours playing.

Tristam Green
October 24th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Give me one that isn't an issue when you read a book, yet nobody objects to book reading. Posture and eye strain are things to look for, but they cannot be a reason to prevent kinds from playing games. Just make sure they sit properly and don't spend too many hours playing.

I don't agree with you much, but when I do....well, I do.

@everyone: Limit the time they play to mitigate posture concerns and eye strain.

I used to get more Eye Strain playing with my LEGOs than I ever have with videogames.

nothingspecial
October 24th, 2011, 07:50 PM
It depends (as all things of this nature do), on the child.

honeybear
October 24th, 2011, 07:51 PM
i voted below 2 :D yeah, as soon as the kid is born they slide right out of the room and to the ps3

below 2, I am not so sure if they really understanding gaming. Too early

Quadunit404
October 24th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I was 3 when I started gaming (I started out on the Game Boy in 1996) so I'd say 2 - 3.

On a side note, that same Game Boy I first played a game on still works :D

forrestcupp
October 24th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I think my oldest boy was still 3 when we got him is first V-Smile console. He wasn't quite 2 yet when he was playing GCompris and Childsplay on my computer, though.

But I know other perfectly capable children who weren't ready until much later. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't like it when people try to show off how early their kids can do something. It makes other parents feel bad, and they don't realize that their kids will be doing the same things, only a little later.

Retlol
October 24th, 2011, 08:40 PM
As soon as they display interest, prob.

No 15 hours no-life marathons, ofc. :p

3Miro
October 24th, 2011, 08:41 PM
But I know other perfectly capable children who weren't ready until much later. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't like it when people try to show off how early their kids can do something. It makes other parents feel bad, and they don't realize that their kids will be doing the same things, only a little later.

I thought that was the point, tell everyone else how superior you are. This reminds me of a comedy sketch with two mothers boasting about their kid's accomplishments (the kids were supposedly in kindergarten). While the moms were boasting, they both had to stop mid sentence to shout at the kids to stop doing gross things, like rolling in dirt or playing with bogies or hitting other kids or breaking things ... you get the picture.

Quadunit404
October 24th, 2011, 09:55 PM
As soon as they display interest, prob.

I can agree with this. I first saw a game in 1994, gained interest in 1995 and tried it out for myself in 1996.

CompyTheInsane
October 24th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I first came across and gained interest in playing the Super Nintendo at age 7 (1996) and then got to play it months later... only once. I have since had no other opportunity and eventually moved on to NES and then PC for gaming.

forrestcupp
October 24th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I first came across and gained interest in playing the Super Nintendo at age 7 (1996) and then got to play it months later... only once. I have since had no other opportunity and eventually moved on to NES and then PC for gaming.

You moved on from Super Nintendo to the NES? :confused:

SoFl W
October 24th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Go outside kid!

LowSky
October 24th, 2011, 11:22 PM
My bday is december 1983 my first console was a NES with the Orange Gun, Super Mario and Duck Hunt included.. no idea how old that makes me but I hope it helps. Then got a Genesis when it was paired with Sonic 1. Before the NES I know we had an Atari 2600 in the house, but I think it was more my dad's but I remember playing it.

CompyTheInsane
October 25th, 2011, 12:21 AM
You moved on from Super Nintendo to the NES? :confused:

Two years after I first played the SNES, my dad picked up an abandoned box containing an NES and a set of video games, so I adopted them and spent almost every night playing the games on the NES.
Oh, I forgot to mention that before fully moving on from NES to PC in 2004, I've played a bit of PC (1998-2000, 2001, 2003-present) and Game Boy (2000-2001) on the side.

meh_phistopheles
October 25th, 2011, 01:14 AM
i've seen a picture of me as an infant holding an NES controller with super mario 1 on the tv. also, one of my earliest memories is this really dark christmas, it must have been like 5am, where i got mega man 2 and was playing it and had no idea what was going on. i feel like i turned out fine, so i voted below 2.

one thing my dad did though was unplug whatever game system i had and put it on the fridge if i ever started to get angry at the game. you should do that too. i wouldn't say that's teaching a kid how to be a good sport, considering there's nothing sporting about video games, but it is teaching the kid to not throw hissy fits, and to not take video games so seriously, more generally. also, maybe it would be good to sign the kid up for a sports team or something to counterbalance the negative sides of video games.

forrestcupp
October 25th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Two years after I first played the SNES, my dad picked up an abandoned box containing an NES and a set of video games, so I adopted them and spent almost every night playing the games on the NES.

Wow. Thats kind of like going from Windows 7 to Linux. :twisted:

Paqman
October 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Depends on the console. Wii they can start as soon as they like, as the games are suited for young kids and the controls are less abstract. For consoles using a controller I'd say about 8ish.

The decision is likely to be made for you depending on what their friends have anyway. If your 5-year old goes around to their friends place and plays on their friend's older sibling's console then you can't stop them.

F.G.
October 25th, 2011, 01:19 PM
while being of a console generation, I was bought up without consoles in a fairly low-tech environment (no real tv, dishwasher, washing machine, periodically no phone, first house computer in about 1998 was 3rd hand and still only ran DOS). at some point, somehow my brother convinced my dad to get him a NES, which was attached to a 'portable' black and white tv from the late sixties where you had to turn a knob to tune in the channels (which we weren't allowed to watch) and i was rarely allowed to play.

Therefore my opinion on this may not be credible.

Nonetheless I'm inclined to believe that lots of parents pop their two year old in front the tv to watch thomas the tank engine or the telly babies, which is not interactive or physically stimulating, and only mildly intellectually stimulating (i know my brother, now a father likes thomas). I would have thought that with the increasingly ergonomic designs, and activity based controls (wii) and with better researched / responsibly developed games, consoles should be fine for all ages. I mean surely its up to the parents to ensure their kids don't go over the top, or play games of a particularly cynical nature (prior to becoming cynical teens). I think playing consoles are way preferable to hours in front of the TV.

just my two cents.

Evil-Ernie
October 25th, 2011, 01:52 PM
My dad had a console (Atari 2600) when they came out, I wasnt allowed to play it until a lot later, I think the mid-80s when I was about 8. Weird thing is I didn't mind, I was too busy playing football and hitting my sister!

I was more interested in the 8-bit machines that were programmable, again my dad had a Vic 20 and I loved that so to scrape me off his computer my dad got me one of those new-fangled Amstrad CPC464s because it had a screen and would avoid the enevitable 'whos using the TV' debarcle family warfare.

So my point is its up to the child and of course good supervision and control, young kids do need activity so as long as use of a console doesnt prevent normal growing up activites like playing a bit of sport, running around with friends, getting outdoors etc

a2j
October 25th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I'd delay video gaming for kids for as long as possible.
they will find it themselves, no need to encourage it.

Merk42
October 25th, 2011, 04:18 PM
That warning is specifically about the 3D feature of the Nintendo 3DS, not video games as a whole.

I personally remember playing Lost Luggage on the Atari 2600 at the age of 2.

To answer your question, I'll agree with nothingspecial and say it depends on the child.

DangerOnTheRanger
October 25th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I played on a few consoles at age 2, so I'd guess around 2-4.

drawkcab
October 25th, 2011, 07:56 PM
A Canadian neurologist has shown that excessive gaming or gaming while young actually discourages neocortical function leading to increased impulsiveness...i.e. ADHD.

The nice thing about growing up in the 80s was that you got bored of the atari 2600 in about 45 minutes so that you went outside, built legos or read a book.

My little brother, who grew up in the 90s when games were far more immersive, is now a WOW addict who, at age 28, has dropped out of college 4 times, lives at home and works a part time job at the post office.

BrokenKingpin
October 25th, 2011, 09:25 PM
4-6 years old, but only certain types of games, and limited time on the console. Nintendo Wii has a lot of learning type games for young kids that I think would be fine.