PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless Connection Not Successful

babannasd
October 24th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I have DELL XPS L502X laptop. I have installed Ubuntu 11.10 along with Windows 7 in it. I have 3 major problems in Ubuntu.

1. My battery gives around 3 hours of backup when using Windows 7 and it gives only 1 hour backup using Ubuntu when charged fully.

2. I have DSL internet connection and I have ADSL Modem + Router that has 4 LAN ports and has support for WLAN also. It is UTStarcom with model No. WA3002G4. Now my problem is I can connect to internet through wi-fi in Windows 7 but I couldn't in Ubuntu.

3. My laptop comes with Nvidia Graphics processor along with 1GB of graphics memory. When I install NVidia Graphics drivers, and when I open Kubuntu (KDE in ubuntu), the KDE plasma theme is not working properly. The screen transformation is very slow.

I faced the same problems with Ubuntu 11.04 and 10.10

Please help me to solve these problems. Waiting for solutions. Thank you....

jnorthr
October 25th, 2011, 08:56 PM
1. read this: https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/ubuntu-help/power-batterywindows.html
2. this is a big problem, you'll need to do more research yourself on this ubuntu forum - look for the topic networking and ask specific questions there
3. the driver in ubuntu for your video chipset may not be the latest or the fastest, meaning that it might not be tuned to work with your specific chipset. many vendors do not release specs about their chips, so we have to build a free open source equivalent driver which is REALLY tough without specs, hence slower performance or not all features may be implemented.