PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10?

mihalybaci
October 24th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I've been debating upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10 for a little while now, and I thought it best to ask for some advice. I've spent the last few months adding a myriad of programs and tweaking my system, so I don't want to do a fresh install, and given some of the online upgrade issues people have had in the past I'm a little wary of that method. I've gotten used to Unity and don't have any major/bugs issues with my current 11.04 install, and I didn't read anything 'revolutionary' in the Oneric release notes. So, am I really missing out on anything or should I just wait for the LTS release in the spring?

kaldor
October 24th, 2011, 05:00 PM
If it's working and you're unsure, then stick with what you have. There's no need to upgrade when 11.04 will still receive updates for another 12 months. You've got at least another year of use :)

Frogs Hair
October 24th, 2011, 05:13 PM
If you have a good running system there is no reason unless 11.10 has something you want or need . I do only clean installations but that is my choice . If you are interested trying the Gnome Shell , 11.10 makes that a much easier because it based on Gnome 3 .

You could always try a live cd and see if 11.10 offers anything you want .There have been some additional settings to unity for those that use 3D . If you plan to install 12.04 via upgrade then you may want to consider an upgrade to 11.10 near that time . If you choose to upgrade make backups . purge any PPAS , and remove the proprietary graphics driver if in use .

There are some familiar features removed in Gnome 3 , such as , theme color change and screen saver just to name two .

wolfen69
October 24th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Is it worth it? Fresh install yes. Upgrade no. But that's just me.

wolfen69
October 24th, 2011, 05:15 PM
There are some familiar features removed in Gnome 3 , such as , theme color change and screen saver just to name two .

As we all know, those are hard to change. ;)

malspa
October 24th, 2011, 05:22 PM
So, am I really missing out on anything or should I just wait for the LTS release in the spring?

As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Well, I'm keeping 10.04 on my main pc and 11.04 on my notebook. Both are running fine, so I'll just wait for 12.04 to come out before I do anything.

3Miro
October 24th, 2011, 05:45 PM
The big thing in 11.10 is the move from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 and GTK2 to GTK3. This also means that overall 11.10 would be less stable than other releases. Unless you are prepared to deal with lots of potential problems, then don't upgrade. If you feel adventurous, then do upgrade.

BTW, clean install is generally preferable to an upgrade.

malspa
October 24th, 2011, 05:47 PM
The big thing in 11.10 is the move from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 and GTK2 to GTK3. This also means that overall 11.10 would be less stable than other releases. Unless you are prepared to deal with lots of potential problems, then don't upgrade. If you feel adventurous, then do upgrade.

BTW, clean install is generally preferable to an upgrade.

Good points, and excellent advice.

mihalybaci
October 24th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I was able to upgrade from 10.10 to 10.04 without a fresh install, so that success is the only reason I'd consider it. As for Gnome 3, GTK3, etc., that doesn't really matter to me. It would mostly be for the newer program updates in the repositories, which I can install on my own if I see the need. So, based on everyone's (extremely helpful) comments I think I'll just hold off and see what 12.04 brings to the table.

Thanks!

Retlol
October 24th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I've been debating upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10 for a little while now, and I thought it best to ask for some advice. I've spent the last few months adding a myriad of programs and tweaking my system, so I don't want to do a fresh install, and given some of the online upgrade issues people have had in the past I'm a little wary of that method. I've gotten used to Unity and don't have any major/bugs issues with my current 11.04 install, and I didn't read anything 'revolutionary' in the Oneric release notes. So, am I really missing out on anything or should I just wait for the LTS release in the spring?

I would wait for the LTS.

Like you said it offers you nothing and you'll keep getting updates till LTS hits.

ratcheer
October 24th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Personally, I strongly prefer 11.10 to 11.04.

Tim