PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I use the good old Gnome 2 ?

MaximB
October 24th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Hello !

After the upgrade things got screwed up and I have Unity Gnome3 or the screwed up mix of "Old gnome" with only "Applications" and "places" at the top bar and without the ability to add new stuff to the panel.

I've tried to install Gnome from the USC and got the bad Gnome 3.

How can I get back to the good old Gnome2 like it was before ?

Thanks
Maxim.

T.J.
October 24th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Hello !

After the upgrade things got screwed up and I have Unity Gnome3 or the screwed up mix of "Old gnome" with only "Applications" and "places" at the top bar and without the ability to add new stuff to the panel.

I've tried to install Gnome from the USC and got the bad Gnome 3.

How can I get back to the good old Gnome2 like it was before ?

Thanks
Maxim.

I'm afraid you can't; not easily anyway. The changes between Gnome 2 and Gnome 3 make it difficult, but I'd imagine, not impossible. You'd have to edit the XML menu files associated with the panel.

drawkcab
October 24th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Gnome 2 is being discontinued. Your options are:

1. Abandon Ubuntu for Debian or Linux Mint (or run Ubuntu LTS for another year or so)which will buy you a year or so.

2. Switch to xfce which is Gnome-ish. (i.e. xubuntu)

3. Install Gnome 3 fallback and try to fix it up like Gnome 2.

Perfect Storm
October 24th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Give elementary OS a try. In the next release it will use its own shell 'Pantheon'.

Or perhaps making Gnome Shell more eatable for your taste. Like installing some extensions that mimic a drop down menu and add AWN at the bottom of the screen.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=205348&stc=1&d=1319472211

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=205349&stc=1&d=1319472211

Dustintendo
October 24th, 2011, 11:49 PM
gnome shell dropdown menu and tint2 or xfce4-panel

raysa
October 29th, 2011, 09:08 AM
You may be able to get some of what you want from where you are. For example, adding things to the panel. In the older Gnome a right click on the panel would bring up the add option. Later you had to press Alt together with the right click.

RaganN
October 29th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Gnome fallback is designed to look like and feel like Gnome 2, while still being Gnome 3. That is one option. There is a fork of Gnome 2 in development right now, however it's not easily installed and doesn't completely work yet, but I expect before long it will be a viable option. There is also, as someone else pointed out, Linux Mint, which still uses Gnome 2, and there are other desktop options for Ubuntu, such as xubuntu-desktop, although it is not the same thing as Gnome 2.