PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unity 3D stops working after changing Compiz settings

fraktalek
October 24th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Hi,

my Unity 3D stopped working after I ran Compiz settings ccsm and tried to change OpenGL settings.

I was experiencing slow/choppy windows dragging so I thought I'd try to change the Sync to VBlank setting. Now I can't see the top and left panels in Unity 3D, Unity 2D works ok.

ccsm is showing the same settings as before I started changing them.

How do I go back to the original settings? unity --reset does NOT change a thing about the current state.

There's this question already on askubuntu by someone else: http://askubuntu.com/questions/69814/unity-3d-stops-working-after-changing-compiz-settings I believe it is wrongly marked as a duplicate because unity --reset does not work.

jalberro
October 24th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I solve several problems with this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11386080&postcount=4

mc4man
October 24th, 2011, 03:50 PM
unity --reset is not working because you are possibly using the "Default" profile instead of the "unity" profile in ccsm

If you want to keep using the "Default" profile then log into ubuntu > Ctrl+Alt+T, in the terminal go ccsm & enable the Unity plugin

Otherwise try this -

nautilus ~/.config/compiz-1/compizconfig
The will be a file named config there
Open it up & delete all the contents, save.
Then log out using Ctrl+Alt+Delete

If when you log back into the ubuntu session all is not well then again open a terminal & use unity --reset

Frogs Hair
October 24th, 2011, 03:53 PM
This has worked for some users .
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1
unity --reset

fraktalek
October 24th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks all for the fast answers!

Enabling the Unity plugin in ccsm solved my problem with the panels, great :)

mc4man
October 24th, 2011, 04:04 PM

I'm not sure if there is any downside to using the Default profile vs the unity profile.
If it seems a bit different then empty that file I mentioned & do a log out/in

rcstook
October 24th, 2011, 05:24 PM

I'm new... and having a similar problem.
Can you show exactly how you 'enabled unity plugin' so I can try it.

Thanks.

fraktalek
October 24th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I'm new... and having a similar problem.
Can you show exactly how you 'enabled unity plugin' so I can try it.

Thanks.

First you have to run CompizConfig Settings Manager. You do it for example by running ccsm from the terminal (press Ctrl+Alt+T to open a new terminal), alternatively from Dash (the left-hand panel that you may or may not see now), or maybe Alt+F2.

In ccsm type "unity" to the Filter search field in the top-left side of the window. It will find the "Ubuntu Unity Plugin" in the Desktop category. Just make sure that it is checked.

Then unity --reset should work

rcstook
October 24th, 2011, 07:00 PM
That got my desktop back. Thanks!
But the 'unity --reset' command didn't run smoothly.
Seemed several things couldn't be found or initialized.
Seems now if I open a window (firefox) it opens full screen.
If I try to minimize that window, I then lose the task bar options to close, minimize, or expand. The menu bar for 'file, edit, ect...' is the only thing that appears.

Is there a way to load defaults into the ccsm or unity default settings?

Maybe uninstall ccsm?

Thanks again for this help!

fraktalek
October 24th, 2011, 07:18 PM
you would have to be more specific about the errors that you see after your unity --reset

the fact that you don't see the min/max/etc buttons probably means that unity did not actually start, or better said it's window manager compiz.. I don't know much about the details.

Anyway, you can load default settings in ccsm in the Preferences section (lower left button), then there's the button "Reset to defaults" in the "Profile & Backend" tab.

rcstook
October 24th, 2011, 07:23 PM
OK.
Thanks again.

I have been looking around and seems compiz is not stable with 11.10.

I've got some things to try after looking around the forum.

I'll be back if I continue to have problems.

Jayyin11043
October 25th, 2011, 04:22 AM
anyone know how to fix unity opening the windows (programs) above my window so that the close program and stuff are outside my desktop, I've tried using centre windows but that makes it so that windows cannot be moved.

I upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10