PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Comments on upgrade

mrw
October 24th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I started out with Ubuntu 10.10 with the intention of upgrading to 11.10. First I had to do the intermediate upgrade to 11.04 to get to the final upgrade. The result was a mess and I was unable to get the GUI to work - only the prompt.
Fortunately I had backed up my 'home' directory as well as my apps with dpkg. My next attempt, something I now recommend as the best approach was to do a clean install over the old version. This of course would eliminate the intermediate upgrade. After the clean install I reinstalled my apps and copied over the old home directory. At this point things looked pretty good. I had my original desktop with many but not all of the apps. The problem was I hated the unity desktop as well as the latest Gnome 3 desktop. There were other problems - couldn't network with other remote computers and I couldn't get a the attached printer working with a remote Windows machine (these were not issues under the old 10.10).
After 3 days of struggling I decided to undo everything and go back to Ubuntu 10.10 - if it's not broke why fix it? I'm pretty much back where I was and satisfied.
My question is what is really gained in this new version? Other than the Unity desktop, which is terrible in my opinion, what else is new and/or improved?
I can install 11.10 on another partition just to experiment with it but what I've seen doesn't impress me.

charliespiro
November 1st, 2011, 11:51 PM
"My question is what is really gained in this new version?"

I have gained a new respect for Windows 7!

Ubuntu 11.10 made so many changes that I can't find what I'm looking for but the straw that broke the camel's back is the fact that I can't print to physical printers or even print to a pdf file.