PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.10 login settings tool and appearance

erotavlas
October 24th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Hi,

I have updated at last version of Ubuntu 11.10 and now I'm amazed about the fact that I can't come back to the old dekstop appearance. I have partially resolved with the following two installations

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-toolk

Unfortunately the system menu is not present and some applications are randomly distributed among the others menu >:(

Now I can't find the tool to set the login property which probably should be called "login screen settings".
In addition, I can set the appearance of the windows to have the three buttons (close, reduce to icon and resize) on the right side of the windows?

Thank you

raja.genupula
October 24th, 2011, 09:18 AM
The first thing you have done will makes your desktop as a classic one but not pure .

i suggest you that get gnome-shell

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

its good and i that menu you do have gnome-classic too.

all the best.

erotavlas
October 24th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Thank for your fast reply. When I install gnome-session-fallback it installs also the gnome-shell. However I have installed only the gnome-shell as you have suggested.

Now I would like to know if there is a way to recover the old system menu and a way to modify the position of the three buttons (close, reduce to icon and resize) from the left side to the right side of the window.

Thank you

raja.genupula
October 24th, 2011, 03:24 PM
http://blog.sudobits.com/2011/05/01/top-10-tips-and-tricks-for-ubuntu-11-04/

i think common for both 11.10 and 11.04 .

all the best.

vulcanoman
October 24th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Hi

try with simple lightdm manager

Mark Phelps
October 24th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Sorry I don't have the link ... but if you go to the Ubuntu Geek website, there was a link a while back for a plugin you installed that put an icon in the top bar of the screen -- that you could click and get the old menu system back. It was called ClassicMenuIndicator. I installed this in 11.04 and it worked great. Haven't got around to installing 11.10 yet -- happy having a system that still works.

erotavlas
November 6th, 2011, 04:01 PM
http://blog.sudobits.com/2011/05/01/top-10-tips-and-tricks-for-ubuntu-11-04/

i think common for both 11.10 and 11.04 .

all the best.

Hi,
I have tried to modify the position of the buttons with "Move the Windows buttons to Right Corner" but without success. The terminal gives me this warning

(gconf-editor:2143): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: g_object_get_valist: property `type' of object class `GConfEditorWindow' is not readable

Why? Thank you

erotavlas
November 6th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Sorry I don't have the link ... but if you go to the Ubuntu Geek website, there was a link a while back for a plugin you installed that put an icon in the top bar of the screen -- that you could click and get the old menu system back. It was called ClassicMenuIndicator. I installed this in 11.04 and it worked great. Haven't got around to installing 11.10 yet -- happy having a system that still works.
Thank you! It works