PDA

View Full Version : Like alt-tab & alt-tilda functionality but ...

snowguy
October 24th, 2011, 05:53 AM
So I really like the new alt-tab and alt-tilda functionality in 11.10. The problem though is that it just leaves me wanting even more. Specifically, I don't like how it handles tabs within applications--or actually how it doesn't handle them.

As I see it there are 3 level hierarchy for windows. First there are apps, then there are windows, then there are tabs within the same window. It is pretty nice how alt-tab allows me to see all the windows of a certain app grouped together and then use the arrow keys to select just the one I want; however, I sure wish I could select right from there the correct tab as well. I'd be fine if it just treated each tab within an application as it's own window--essentially merging the bottom two levels of this 3-level hierarchy together so that I could use the arrow keys to select the right tab of firefox within the alt-tab functionality.

What do you think?

Also, I'm curious how you get to the right browser window you need... Do you first alt-tab to firefox and then ctrl-tab to the correct window? I'm trying to get in that habit, but wish there were an easier way...

Lucradia
October 24th, 2011, 07:59 AM
In Firefox if you use CTRL+# (1-9) You can switch between 9 tabs. I don't use more than that, and no, it doesn't work between groups. If you change tab groups, CTRL+1 works only for the first tab in the group you currently are in. I don't use more than 5-9 tabs though.

snowguy
October 24th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks for that tip Lucradia...of course it isn't the same as seeing a picture of the different pages that you have open like I would be able to see using alt-tab or alt-tilda if instead of using tabs I opened each item in its own window. So right now I am forced to choose between the convenience of tabbed browsing and the convenience of using alt-tab functionality to see a preview of the html page I am switching too.

Does anyone know how to submit a feature request?

Copper Bezel
October 24th, 2011, 05:26 PM
It would require more interaction between the particular application and the window manager than is presently possible. Internet Explorer does a version of this under MS Windows, but that's a case where the browser and window manager are being developed together as part of a single project. I'm not saying that it's necessarily impossible to implement, though - just difficult.

You'd want to type up a proposal for Ubuntu Brainstorm (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/).