PDA

View Full Version : How can I delete unwanted screensavers?

JumpyLINUX
March 8th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Hey,
Is this the right place to ask questions conserning Ubuntu? If so I have a question. How can I delete unwanted screensavers that were preinstalled with Ubuntu? Please note that I'm new to Linux, and don't know almost anything about it.

landotter
March 8th, 2005, 05:57 PM
You most likely have two screensaver metapackages installed, xscreensavers and glxscreensavers. You can delete either of these with Synaptic.

If you just want to delete individual screensavers, you can go into /usr/lib/xscreensaver and delete the executables--or you can just run desktop preferences/screensavers, and enable/disable the ones you like.

JumpyLINUX
March 9th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Thanks I'll try that! :grin:

JumpyLINUX
March 10th, 2005, 10:09 AM
I deleted a whole lot of screensavers from /usr/lib/xscreensaver/, but they appear still on the list of XSCREENSAVER. :-( Only now they're greyed and it states they are not installed. It's really frustrating to choose a screensaver when the list is endless. :mad:

Should I simply remove the whole program? Or is there a way to get completely rid of the extra screensavers?

Retrix
March 10th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Perhaps try deleting the corresponding xml files from /usr/share/xscreensaver/config? Personally I wouldn't bother though, I just have a random ssaver set anyway.