PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No Sound and Firefox Hanging

petermck
October 23rd, 2011, 10:59 PM
When searching for problems related to sound and Firefox running slow or other issues like this, I came up with so many posts that I decided to start a new one because this fix seems to have worked on various problems.
After a fresh install of 11.10 64-bit, I had various problems:

Firefox hanging for a long time when trying to right click and open a link in a tab or new window
Firefox not playing video in Youtube
Firefox generally operating slowly
No sound
Other applications/Firefox extns (possibly related to sound??) seemed to hang sometimes.

On the advice of another post at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=banshee I did this:

sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base
sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio
sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get install alsa-base
sudo apt-get install pulseaudio
When removing alsa-base, apt-get also removed some ubuntu-desktop associated stuff so I also:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
and then rebooted. I suggest it's fairly important (or at least prudent) to do the sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop step before rebooting. I'm not sure what affect omitting this might have.

As far as I can tell, everything seems to be working properly now. The only remaining issue I see is that the speaker icon has disappeared from the toolbar, but this is minor.
All the other issues listed above seem to have been fixed.

ReFranz
October 25th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Problem here, also w/ 64 bit, is that the sound is too loud, dangerously loud. Do you know FOR SURE if this fix will work for the LOUD problem?

petermck
October 29th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Problem here, also w/ 64 bit, is that the sound is too loud, dangerously loud. Do you know FOR SURE if this fix will work for the LOUD problem?

No I don't, but my sound has no problems with the volume.