PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE configuration questions

Sailejay
October 23rd, 2011, 10:04 PM
Guys, please forgive me for asking so many questions here. Just know I attempt to google search. Why wouldn't I? It's easier than writing here, hehe. Perhaps I'm a lousy googler, though.

Either way I've been playing around with Kubuntu 11.10 (and am new to KDE), and for the most part I have this desktop tip-top (thanks in part to you folks), but there are a few nagging issues.

First the easy one: After leaving my computer (a Dell Inspiron N7010 w/ Intel HD gfx) idle for a few minutes the backlight turns off. It's no major issue really, because all I have to do is move the mouse and it comes right back on. However, I don't want it going off when plugged in. I looked all through power settings and whatnot, but see nothing there. I feel this is a simple setting probably hiding in plain sight, but tell me, please, where is it? My screensaver is disabled.

Next: I have my KDE desktop layout set to "Folder View." But something strange happens; my icons will sometimes randomly resize. Why is that?

Within Desktop Settings under the Display section I have Icon Arrangement set to "Top to Bottom, Left to Right," however when adding a new icon, say adding a new folder via right clickin the desktop, it may appear over another icon (superimpose itself on another icon), or it may appear in the upper left corner of the screen. In other words, what an icon will do when I add it to the desktop is not consistent at all. All I want it to do is simply be the next icon in the list like this, for example:

Home
Trash
Firefox
Clementine
<New Icon is added here>

I just want a newly added, downloaded, created, or whatever icon to appear as next in the list of my desktop icons. Man I hope that was clear.

I know this is really anal, folks - but I'm sure I'm in good company with respect to being that way about my computer. Now, off to write a term paper about the differences about the historical reasons for the food of Latin Europe (France, Portugal, Spain, etc) having a different flair than food of the British Isles. You guys are more than welcome to help me with that to, ha!

Seriously though, Thanks in advance guys.

oldos2er
October 24th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Moved to Desktop Environments and given a meaningful title.

ronwilhoite
October 24th, 2011, 02:01 AM
You should be able to stop the display from dimming in System Settings > Power Management. Check the Power Profile for when AC power is on, then uncheck Dim Display for that profile.

Not sure about the icon order problem.

Sailejay
October 24th, 2011, 08:03 AM
You should be able to stop the display from dimming in System Settings > Power Management. Check the Power Profile for when AC power is on, then uncheck Dim Display for that profile.

Not sure about the icon order problem.

Within System Settings > Power Management > Global Settings "When AC Adaptor is plugged in" is set to Performance. The setting for this performance mode itself can be found under the Power Profiles option on the left side of our Power Management window; the option for Screen Energy Saving is unchecked (and grayed out at switching off at 360 min, if it matters). My AC adaptor plugged in and battery is properly charging therefore I am in performance mode. Yet the back light cuts after being idle for 5 min or so.

Should I submit a bug report?

EDIT:

Moved to Desktop Environments and given a meaningful title.

Now even more meaningful. Thank You!

ronwilhoite
October 25th, 2011, 03:19 AM
the option for Screen Energy Saving is unchecked (and grayed out at switching off at 360 min, if it matters).

Is the "Dim Display" option above it also unchecked?